Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mandevilla transplanting

Posted by torrie6mi MI (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 07 at 1:42

How would you recommend caring for a mandevilla purchased in October?? Do I transplant to a pot now (Michigan Zone 4) or wait until the spring?? This is my first year for these lovely vines: I have 2 Pink Parfaits (including the new one just purchased) and 1 darker pink. I plan to bring them indoors soon to winter over, as this is Michigan!! I had these in pots outdoors, but did not get enough sunlight so next year will move their location. Also, are mealy bugs easily visible, or do you need a magnifying glass to detect?? Thanks for any info. I could not resist making the latest purchase, as it was only $8 for a tall lovely!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mandevilla transplanting

You should be able to see the mealybugs without a magnifying glass, and Mandevillas are prone to them.

o

Thanks for the info. I have not seen any bugs on mine, but there are "chomp bites" on a few of the leaves. If you do know tips of transplanting, please pass 'em on. Still at a loss if I should pot my October purchase now??

o

If it's mealy bugs you wouldn't see "chomps" taken out of the leaves. Maybe it was a slug or caterpillar. I'm not sure that I understand about potting it. Do you have it in the ground? If so go ahead, cut it back and dig it up. If you are talking about transplanting into a larger container I'd wait until spring when it's putting out lots of new growth. The only reason that I'd transplant into a larger container this time of year is if it's severely root bound.
Karyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here