Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How best to transplant grape vines?

Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 13, 08 at 3:23

I live in the Greater Seattle area (Zone 8). I have a friend who is redoing his garden and said he will be removing some mature grape vines next spring. These are several types (all seedless) and the vines have trunks that are 1-1/2 to 2" in diameter and about 5' high. When is the best time for me to try to transplant these to my yard, and what procedures/timing should I observe? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How best to transplant grape vines?

I would transplant in winter, prior to bud break, while the plants are still dormant. Make sure to retain as large a root system as you can. Some grapevines have impressively large root systems. I would also place some 'Biovam' (sold in Spokane / they are easy to find on a web search) in the new planting hole.

Keep in mind that if the site to where you are replanting has had grapevines growing there in the past 3 years, your transplant will likely not be successful, as grapevines apparently secrete a substance that is damaging to new plantings.

If any body would like to buy wine grapevine cuttings (cheap way to establish your own vineyard), see www.hesedvineyards.webs.com Now taking orders for Spring 2009.

I hope this is helpful.

-Bret

Here is a link that might be useful: Hesed Vineyards (cuttings available)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here