Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
killer vine

Posted by InaweinTX 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 5:58

I also posted in the Mahon vine forum under the P word ( :) ) sorry I'm new...trying to find our what this is that strangled tree and how to get RID OF IT!! Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: killer vine

do you have a close up of the leaves? :) Arum

o

True, you can only do one picture at a time, but you can add more pics to the same discussion, still one at a time.

o

The green leaved vine stem on the left of the trunk looks similar to Virgina creeper. Is that the one you are asking about? But the tree is very unhealthy looking already. IMO the vine is probably just climbing a moribund tree, not killing it.

o

Just from the one picture, the tree trunk looks riddled with woodpecker holes...a sure sign of a very serious insect problem. I'm wagering that it's already deader than the proverbial doornail.

The first plant to come to my mind when I squinted at the picture is Crossvine...Bignonia capreolata.

o

I think this is Virginia Creeper, too. It doesn't kill trees. The tree could be at the end of its natural lifetime, too, and woodpeckers will get to it pretty quickly because of insects that are already under the bark.

o

It's Virginia Creeper. That tree is a goner soon.

o

Here is a pic of our va creeper, straight ahead to the right a little. I cut it back to the top every year.
The deer eat everything they can get to in the summer

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 13:03

I love your patio set up with the morning glory vines so lush on the supports of the roof, and the vines were happy I see with all the purple flowers on them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here