Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning Glory Scarlett O'Hara

Posted by surya55 7a ny (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 11:18

Hello-

Does anyone have any issues growing this vine? I waited all summer and it didn't bloom at all. At the beginning of October, it's finally blooming- one flower at a time. And, can someone verify if it's Scarlett O to begin with? The color is definitely not Red.....needless to say I will not be growing this anytime soon. Thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning Glory Scarlett O'Hara

Hello Surya - My impression is that the flower you have posted is similar to a SOH with a white tube and throat which is known as "Wine and Roses" or it could be either an "Akatsuki no Beni" or a "Heian Beni".

The majority of SOH strains are known to be late bloomers , although there are some 'hard to find' earlier blooming strains.

The Real SOH has an all red tube and throat and the only white visible would be from the stamens and pistil....consider yourself lucky if you can locate a strain with a solid colored tube.

The majority of 'SOH' available these days is either pink or a reddish-pink...

The real old fashioned red can be very hard to find and unfortunately advertising images cannot be relied upon..

Hope the info helps...

Ron

o

Ron- you are so right- NK Lawn & Garden showed the real red you're talking about on the package but look what I got when I planted it... anyway, thank you so much for the information. It's very much appreciated. I'll grow the "Grandpa Otts" next year that you identified for me.

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 15:26

You have to look around to find the all red Scarlett O'Hara flower form. It's a knockout to see in real life.

o

Oh wow! Just look at that bloom! I bet that was worth waiting for to see in person! Thx for sharing it with us. How long did it take to bloom?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here