Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

What's Your Favorite Vine?

moonwolf_gw
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Vines are one of my favorite plants to grow in the garden.

I thought I would add my top 10 favorite vines that I like to grow or would like to grow. So here they are!

1. Honeysuckle (You can't beat that fragrance! A wonderful vine in any garden not including the Japanese variety!)

2. Hoya (I know it's mainly an indoor vine, but it's very easy to grow and the flowers are worth the wait!)

3. Moonflower (Beautiful flowers and fragrance)

1. Cup and Saucer (will be growing these next year; the flowers look beautiful!)

5. Passion Flower (they smell wonderful and are very unique looking. I've never grown these.)

6. Wisteria (My neighbor has a huge Chinese wisteria in her yard and she says it smells wonderful when in bloom. I've never grown any variety of it. I would love to grow "Blue Moon"!)

7. Clematis (Lives up to being "Queen of the Climbers")

8. Morning Glory (Always a reliable performer!)

9. Silver Fleece Vine (Don't know much about this one; read it's a hardy vine)

1. Climbing roses (I have a Fourth of July that does very well every year. In fact there are still buds on it!)

Well, there you have it! This is my favorite list. Maybe your favorites will match some of mine! On the ones I haven't grown, can anybody share your experiences with them, please? I would love to hear your stories!

Thank you for sharing!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (20)

• thistle
    14 years ago

My most favourite Vine is Vigna Carcalla (Snail Vine) It grows very quickly and has the most amazing VERY fragrant blooms. Unfortunately this does not overwinter in my region so I have to dig them up and overwinter indoors.They are well worth the effort.
    I also am a big Passion flower advocate,I have a couple of different ones but also have to bring them inside when the cold weather hits.
    I tried Firecracker Vine this year and was beautiful,but got hit by Frost before I could dig it up.I'll be trying seeds of this one for sure.

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

Great thread Brad!

My first favorite is of course Morning Glories. All kinds!!
    2~ Sweet Autumn Clematis for the fall fragrance
    3~ Honeysuckle of course for the summer fragrance!
    4~ Virginia creeper, so pretty in the fall and can cover ugly things like my neighbors wall! LOL
    5~ Climbing rambler roses cause they did so well on my fence.
    6~ Passion flowers that are hardy for my area. The butterflies love them!
    7~ Just about any annual vine like, aserina, thunbergia, sweet peas, runner beans, hyacinth bean, snail vine...Anything new my favorite nursery gets for the summer that I don't have to start from seeds!

Moonflower never flowers enough for me and I Dont know why...I have seen it in the area in other peoples yards, just doesn't do well for me. I kind of don't like the smell anyway!

We had a Wisteria that ate the garage so I am leery of growing another. I am still digging it out 3 years later! I do love them though.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

I was quite fond of Asarina spp (and still am) before being seduced by Ipomoea spp and other species in Convolvulaceae.

Joseph

• ilovegardening2005
    14 years ago

Wisteria is my favorite vine.

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

Ha!Ha! That's like asking me which of my grand kids is my favorite! Hello, my name is Jim and I'm a vineaholic. This is a most pleasing addiction. Most of my vines are perennial, and I guess that my favorite is which ever one is in bloom when you ask.
    Jim
    Maybe this one? Clock vine 'Blue Boy' Thunbergia battiscombei
    {{gwi:679638}}

Here's a link, and I'll warn you there is lots of repetition.
    Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: My Vines

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    14 years ago

Jim: It's always a treat to see pics of your garden. I recognized quite a few of your vines BUT could you give a name to:

Vine #15 (dainty sprays of rose and white 5 petalled flowers)

Vine #27 (looks like a red morning glory with a yellow throat)

Many thanks - June

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

Hi June, thanks for looking. I really need to go through that file and add some titles and delete a lot of duplicates.

~ #15 is Rangoon creeper. It is also shown in 14,45,46,47,48,80,and 81.

~ #27 is Hawaiian Sunset vine, and it is also shown in 28,29,30,31,32,96,97,and 98. It has had 1 bloom all year, and if it doesn't start blooming soon, it is not long for this world! Ha!
    Jim

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

June, I meant to ask, how your 'Blue Boy' and obelisk are getting along?
    Jim

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    14 years ago

Jim, My "Blue Boy" is recovering from being squished into the new obelisk. I had to trim off quite a few damaged strands but it's been putting out new growth and flowers. My husband, who made the obelisk for me, lamented that "you can't even see it anymore".

Thank you for sharing pictures of your garden and giving me the idea of using this type structure instead of a trellis. It's much better suited to showcasing "Blue Boy".

Meanwhile, I won't be rushing to get a Hawaiian Sunset vine. What a downer if I was gone the day it produced its measly bloom (beautiful though it is). - June

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

June, that looks really, really good!
    Jim

• chills71
    14 years ago

4. Hops (self explanatory)

3. Clematis (just don't ask for a favorite...well maybe Asao...or Florida Sieboldii....well whatever is in bloom and i've got over 20)

2. Passiflora (got 9-10 of them, a couple outside in Michigan)

1. Actinidia Argunta (been eating kiwis for weeks!)

• rosepetals1
    11 years ago

Hello Jim and June!
    I have just fallen in love with your Thunbergia battiscombei
    vine! Can you tell me where I might be able to buy one and does it grow well from seed or should I be looking for a plant? They are both incredibly beautiful, thanks for sharing!

rosepetals

• kayjones
    11 years ago

T. battiscombei isn't a vine - it's a sprawling shrub.

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

Rosepetals, I got my plant at a local nursery.

Jim

• khabbab
    11 years ago

Well my favorite vine like many of you is Vigna Carcalla (Snail Vine). It is very fragrant and a perennial in my climate. Then comes senecio confusus, another profuse bloomer. Jasminum nitidium has superb fragrance and flowers from April-November here.

I also like my Japanese morning glories along with the fragrant mooon flower.

My favorite vine is distictis laxiflora a fragrant liana from bignonia family but i do not have the vine, neither seed nor plant.

• steve1young
    11 years ago

I'm really enjoying Fallopia baldschuanica 'Lemon Lace'. It's a Silver Lace Vine w/bright red stems and bright yellow/chartreuse foliage. It really pops! The late season flowers are the typical white/lacey of the species.

• manifest
    11 years ago

Wisteria & Honeysuckle are both my favorite vines. There's nothing like a beautifully trained and established wisteria vine when it's in full bloom.

And honeysuckle has the most divine scents. The drop of nectar inside each blossom is sugar for the gods!

• User
    11 years ago

Kiwi, wisteria, and grape.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

Here in zone 3 my favorite vines are large flowered clematis type 3's / hard prune.

'Blue Moon' wisteria, despite this vine being rated for zone 3 it does require fussing and protection here, though is so worth the extra effort for those awesome blooms and foliage!

The spring flowering wild clematis that flower beautifully in the forest that surrounds my yard.

Native wild honeysuckle vine and also the scarlet flowered 'Dropmore' Honeysuckle

Terrance

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

I normally don't do favourite anything but the Jade Vine, Strongylodon macrobotrys, is utterly magical. The colour of the foot long blossom panicles is an unearthly greenish turquoise like no other plant I have ever seen. There is no chance of my ever growing one as I do not have a giant greenhouse but I have visited a couple in various botanical gardens, including the one at the link, and am always completely stunned by them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jade Vine

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida