Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mg seeds

Posted by kitteh 6 ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 11:28

It's my first year saving seeds for trade. On a fence I planted a few types of mg - can I save seeds from them and they come true to type ? I'm not sure if they'd cross-pollinate ?

The most impressive are the flying saucer types, which grew along one end alone mostly, and I'd get a ton of seeds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
M'Glories same species can cross - different species won't cross

Well, it depends on how many different species you have and it can get complicated but I will try to present it as basic as possible.

Cross pollination is not the same as cross fertilization...an apple and a cucumber may cross pollinate , but they won't cross fertilize.

1) Species which are the same can cross fertilize...cultivars and varieties of the same species can cross fertilize.

2) species which are different will not cross fertilize

So, if you have "Crimson Rambler" and "Milky Way" which are both Ipomoea purpurea , they can cross fertilize but they will not cross fertilize with your "Flying Saucers" because FS is Ipomoea tricolor.

Your "Flying Saucers" can cross with other cultivars of the same species (Ipomoea tricolor) like Heavenly Blue or Pearly Gates.

There is no guarantee that cultivars of the same species will or won't cross, as it depends on how close they are ( the closer , the more chance of crossing and although 25 to 50 feet apart would be best, there are no guarantees as bees have been proven to be able to carry Ipomoea pollen for over several miles) and other related factors...

Hope that helps...

Ron

This post was edited by ron_convolvulaceae on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 18:40

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here