Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dutchman's Pipe

Posted by gamekeeper N.H.5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 12:30

Ordered three plants to put in before frost hoping they will be ready to go come spring.Is this a good idea,or should I have waited for spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dutchman's Pipe

Depends on which type you are planting :-) If it is one of the hardy native species, you should be fine.

o

I'm going to assume you were planting A. durior / macrophylla, the native one and the only Aristolochia that is a temperate climate vine. They are pretty tough. If they don't make it through the winter, give a shout on here next May and I can send you some seedlings. The don't leaf out until late, so give them a chance.

It might break your heart to do it, but when the vines get about a foot tall, cut them down by 1/2. This will make them bush out faster. These are one of my favorite plants. Well behaved, not fussy about soil or sun, and they put out new leaves until frost. They are a bit skittish in a bad drought, especially when small.

o

One is durior/macrophylla,the other is Clementis

o

I have planted Clematis in November here in NH, so you will be fine. It's best to plant early to mid-fall so that roots get established, however.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here