Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annabananagardener

Growing a Flowering Wisteria Indoors?

annabananagardener
15 years ago

I would love to have an indoor wisteria that flowers. Is that possible? If so, what must I do to keep it going strong? Thank you!

Comments (12)

• timestocome
    15 years ago

I've never tried wisteria indoors but it is such a sturdy vine I would think it would make a great houseplant.

Lots of sun, and put it near a window so it'll get a bit of temperature drop from day to night.

Love to hear how it works out for you.

• annabananagardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your response! Exactly how much sun do you think it would need? I wonder if it would flower. Man, that would be amazing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Tales

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

First, with very few exceptions, plants that grow in temperate areas of the world do not make great houseplants - they need much more extreme conditions to thrive than can be provided indoors - brighter light, higher humidity, summer heat and a period of dormancy and winter chill or vernalization. Second, wisteria is a BIG vine that needs a large and very sturdy support system.....not exactly something that is easy to provide indoors. It can also require some significant time and size before it can flower, depending on selection.

If you were to study some articles on bonsai, it's possible you could find this plant included, perhaps as a small tree form, but it could take years to achieve that effect. And temperate plants used in bonsai, like Japanese maples, azaleas, most conifers, etc., DO need time outdoors - in fact, most are grown outdoors and only brought inside for winter protection.

• serachnetzach_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Thank You for this question and response volley.
    I am considering doing the same. I have experience with Wisteria outdoors and I also have some experience with bonsai. The trick to Bonsai is understanding how to prune "under the soil". It is tricky to understand which roots to trim and which to leave untouched. I agree that a proper support structure is key. However, pruning can also be done "above ground" well, especially in younger specimens. I am considering using the Wisteria as a support in itself to train a flowering Jasmin onto. This will enable me to extend the flowering appearence and fragrance, add texture and foliage, etc.
    Soil and fertilization will most likely be the trick when combining these two specimens. I have found a decent size specimen Wisteria online and plan on purchasing a smaller specimen Jasmin which is fast growing. I have know of Wisteria to do well outdoors in planters which have become quite root bound. To pot indoors I agree that pruning will need to be properly done with allot of muscle and love.
    Please email me if you have any additional comments or questions.
    Valerie
    serachnetzach@gmail.com

• dsousa
    12 years ago

I started a wisteria indoors from a seed that came from a neighbor's outdoor plant. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it is in fact growing. I am hoping to be able to continue to grow it indoors and see flowers in time.

• jltong811
    8 years ago

Update. Sera hows the wisteria and Jasmin? Im curious to start that project myself... Thanks in advance and good day

• beehaven69
    6 years ago

BC Mainland, brought Wisteria inside due to sudden freeze drop. Put in Large Carriage house west exposure and leafed in a month. to my surprise bloomed end of February, dozens small fragrant clusters. Now rapid new vines.

• Bobbygrim
    4 years ago

I haven't tried one indoors yet, but I just startstarted a Japanese blue wisteria from seed and plan to bonsai it and keep it indoors. I've had great luck with them outdoors. Keep in mind though, if growing from seed instead of cutting it will take 5-7 years before it blooms.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

5-7 years before blooming from seed is very optimistic for the Asian species. Most authorities will quote anywhere from 10-15 years before flowering if grown from seed and often longer. I personally know of someone with a 20+ y.o.vine that is still waiting for it to flower

• HU-38134128928
    3 years ago

What kind of grow light should I use to help my wisteria grow during Ohio winters?

• P
    9 months ago

I am growing wisteria on the left, i keep it in the window summer and winter, i have trees outside so its not always direct sun but a good amount of light, to the right my peace lily i have had for 22 years