Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Honeysuckle for Container

moonwolf_gw
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have a 15 inch pot that's fairly large and was planning on putting a honeysuckle in it for next year. I am looking at the ones Brushwood Nursery has to offer and I want the vine to be fragrant. Goldflame and all the periclymenums were the ones that interested me the most. Will these do well in a container?

It will be set on the landing of my back steps and will be growing with morning glories and moonflowers which are planted in the ground and they would grow up latticework and then on to the railing. Is this a good idea? I would trim the vine down and store it in the shed for the winter.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (3)

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

Brad if you get a perennial one for z6 you won't have to bring it in...I had one growing in a large pot for years and it came back every year. If you trim it every year you will chance losing some blooms. Also some of the stems can get pretty thick so make sure whatever you put it on is pretty sturdy. We had ours going up some lattice to the top of our pergola and it twisted up the lattice pretty bad after a couple of years. My only suggestion would be to use a bigger pot if you can.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Ronnie,

Thanks for the tips. What kind of honeysuckle did you grow?
    Right now, the 15 inch is the largest one I have. I'll look for some larger sizes if possible.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

Brad I grew coral honeysuckle lonicera sempervirens in a pot for a couple of years until I found the right spot in the yard. We had the fragrant yellow/white on our arbor for a couple of years. We just cut it down this year to fix the lattice. I just love the fragrance of that one. The coral one doesn't have a smell but the hummers go crazy for it!