Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vine that co-habitates with live bamboo??

Posted by dngxl5 Ca (Bay Area) (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 07 at 14:14

I am trying to find information about vines that can co-habitate with living bamboo.
There use to be a nursery in San Francisco called Potrero Hill Nursery whose owner very affectively planted a vine with the living bamboo which then trellised the bamboo adding thickness to it and giving it a very interesting tropical appearance. I seem to recall the owner told me that the plant was not technically a vine but some vine like species, but I am not absolutely sure of this.

Any idea what he may have been using? Can't find anything on the internet and the above mentioned nursery has been gone for some years now.

thanks
Griff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vine that co-habitates with live bamboo??

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 6, 07 at 22:39

Could it have been something like Tecomaria capensis, Cape Honeysuckle? This would most likely have had orange or yellow flowers in clusters and glossy green foliage, and would rather easily grow up amongst bamboo canes. Other vigorous scandent shrubs or vines would also work, like Burmese Honeysuckle, or Plumbago capensis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here