Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
levijean

What vine(s) to cover huge concrete wall?

levijean
11 years ago

I have a tall and long concrete wall I'd like to cover with vines. Its about 200' long, ranging from 1' to 20' tall. Must be zone 5 hardiness, self supporting, and maintain some winter screening. Any suggestions?

Comments (6)

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Boston Ivy will work beautifully. In the spring, if you want blooms, just plant annual vines - should make quite a show!

• levijean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Does Boston ivy provide cover in the winter? I think my neighbors garage has it growing up the side and it shrivels up to basically nothing in the Fall.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Pretty much any vine in zone 5 suitable to climb a concrete wall will be deciduous or lose its leaves. I can't think of any that would be evergreen and of suitable size. Boston ivy still makes a very interetsing tracery on a solid surface, even leafless in the middle of winter.

• kayjones
    11 years ago

I lived in Missouir, zone 5b, and my Boston ivy stayed leafed out all winter.

• levijean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What about English Ivy?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

It doesn't matter where you live, Boston ivy, Parthenocissus tricuspidata, IS deciduous. In fact, it is typically grown for the very intense scarlet color the leaves produce before they fall off.

I would never recommend English ivy, Hedera helix, as it is far too invasive in many (even most) parts of the country and in those locations where it is NOT invasive, it is often killed back in the winter. Just not a good choice.