Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evan_nj

honeysuckle advice

evan_nj
14 years ago

I have two pink lemonade honeysuckle vines that are now 3 years old. They have grown well and bloomed profusely. Unfortunately by midsummer every year, despite application of fungicide, they are covered with mildew, the leaves turn black and fall off...a total disaster.

Is this a problem with all honeysuckle vines or just this variety? I am planning to dig these out next spring and trying something else as I hate the ugliness in mid-summer. I like the general look of honeysuckle and if a different variety would be better, I'm game to try.

Any advice from honeysuckle experts would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• kayjones
    14 years ago

The vine (any vine, for that matter) needs GREAT air circulation and sunlight. I would recommend thinning the vine to provide better air circulation and not using any fertilizer. This should take care of the problem.

Start cutting and thinning near the ground and place the cuttings in a garbage bag, then toss into the trash. This vine gets massive and you will need to keep the vine on the thin side all the time.

• User
    14 years ago

Evan,
    I lightly sprayed rose spray on the vine in early spring before it really started growing good, do it twice a month til it really starts getting warm where you live, probably the end of May.
    It really works and won't hurt the vine at all.
    GOod Luck!

• evan_nj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately I have excellent air circulation, lots of sun, have sprayed aggressively, and still no luck. I will try spraying as early as possible this year and see if I can get ahead of the problem.

I'm afraid the real problem is living in NJ: we had so much rain this year that everything that could possibly have problems, did so. My verbena bonariensis was covered with mildew even in absolute full sun. The phlox was a disaster as well.

The situation is so bad that I am taking out some of my David Austin roses and replacing them with Kordes disease resistant roses. I'll give the honeysuckle one more season but I think that it is going to have to come out and be replaced with sweet autumn clematis which doesn't seem to be bothered by the dampness.