Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

MG looks like....

karyn1
14 years ago

An I. purpurea crossed with Blizzard or something.

{{gwi:568450}}

I have no idea if this is a named variety that I didn't have tagged or another mutt. I have the blue and purple but this one is a light pinkish lavender. Sorry about the pic quality.

{{gwi:568466}}

Comments (16)

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

OH Karyn they are so nice!!

The first one looks like one I had year before last from Emma that Ron ID as solid flake shibori and the second one looks like her
    raspberry-red-flaked shibori.

Are they making any seeds? My solid one never did, frost came to soon.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

They are quite nice, Karen!

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

BB did spelling switch on your name Karyn - sorry!

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Karyn,

I agree with Ronnie about pic number 2.

Hope you don't mind, but I played with the blurry pic of No 2 with my mac computer and iphoto to try and get a clearer picture.

Here's what I was able to do, just not quite sure if the color is off from what the bloom actually looks like.

Fran

• ceej1963
    14 years ago

Nice blooms Karyn...

i'm going to agree with Ronnie, the first looks like a solid flaked shibori... these seem to just appear occasionally on the same vines as the my purple flaked vines and are very nice when they do...

i think the second pic is probably purple flaked shibori later in the day, or a bloom that is still open from yesterday... as it has a coloured throat and my rasberry flakes don't....

Colin

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fran that was so cool. Thanks!!! The first bloom might very well be on a purple flaked vine. It's just hard to tell because many of my vines reseeded from last year and are so intertwined that I can't tell one from another or if there's even more then one vine. Colin it's definitely not a faded bloom. It had just opened that morning so I'm guessing the raspberry red flaked shibori ID is correct. Several of the seeds I've planted over the past few years have been purchased from Emma. Thanks for the ID's.

Joseph don't worry, more people spell my name incorrectly then correctly. I've even been held at gunpoint at Schiphol Airport because the name on my boarding pass and passport were spelled differently by 1 letter! I'm very careful when I travel outside of the country now, that my name is spelled correctly on all documents. lol

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Karyn -
    I too agree that your first photo is a Solid Flaked Shibori, and the second photo is also a Flaked Shibori. Just like the Bluish-Purple Flaked shibori, the Red/Pink will vary in coloration. Here is one of my Flaked Raspberry-Red Shibori recent blooms.

Emma

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Here is one of many photos of
    Solid Purple Flaked Shibori

of my
    Solid Purple Flaked Shibori

• ceej1963
    14 years ago

gorgeous blooms Emma... yours are deffinately raspberry... mine are more of a dark pink, out of a commercial mix and didn't flower very much :-(

Karyn/Emma, i'd love to trade you for some seeds from your raspberry flaked, such a cool colour... i want some :-))))

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Colin,

You got it! I would love to trade with you.

I didn't have much time this year to work with getting a Darker Red color from my Raspberry-Red Flaked, but do plan to next year. Maybe you can do the same, including any one else. Ron recommends to cross pollinate with a DARKER RED color. All I had growing this year was a very pretty Dark Pink Crimson Rambler. I did cross-pollinate a couple of blooms and will see what those do next year. Also, next year I will be growing a lot of purpureas and mostly from Ronnie's Mix, So hopefully there will be some dark colors in that mix. BTW: since you also like to grow purpureas, if you do ever see a Very Dark bloom in Red or close to Red or a Very Dark Blue, PLEASE TAG YOUR PODS as I would love to have some of those to work with those colors on HIGEs.

Here is another of my Raspberry-Red Flaked Shibori blooms with more coloration.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Colin I have the blooms tagged but the raspberry flaked started blooming so late that I don't know if there's enough time before the first frost for the pods to ripen.

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

Karyn if you happen to get some pods cut the stems and bring them inside and put them in a cup of water with a few drops of peroxide in it to help fight mold. I learned that trick from Ron years ago...saves me lots of extra seeds I probably wouldn't get.

• ceej1963
    14 years ago

Thanks Karyn and Emma... and thanks for the tip Ronnie... i have some strings in pillow cases hanging up to dry

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Here is a new volunteer vine that just started blooming this week.
    Solid Purple Flaked

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ronnie these blooms just opened so I doubt the pods will mature even if I take cuttings but maybe I'll just root a few.

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

That stinks Karyn. I have a few I won't see seeds from either!!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus