Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aprilbird4

Moon Flower vs White MG - Confussion

aprilbird
13 years ago

Actually, I think I've figured it out, but I want to double check.

On a whim I bought what was labeled a "Moon Flower Vine" at the end of the season (early July) at the local hardware store. I planted it to mingle with 'Milky Way' MG. 'Milky Way' bloomed in the spring and early summer and then I'd seen nothing but leaves. No buds. The so called Moon Flower Vine was nothing but leaves as well. They are hopelessly intermingled. I had been ignoring the mass of leaves for quite some time.

The other day at 4:30 in the afternoon I notice several pure white blooms. When 'Milky Way' bloomed earlier (and in the other places I've planted and it is currently blooming) it wasn't pure white. It had a bluish/violet streak from the center out. Kind of a bluish ting to the whole bloom. But the buds don't look like Moon Flower buds, either (I've grown Moon Flowers from seed for the last 4 years)

This strange Oct weather has all my morning glories doing strange things with when they open and how long they stay open. The Moon Flowers I planted from seed are a little off with their bloom times, too, so that helped to add to the confussion on these. However, I did notice they seemed to have opened like around 11:00 AM this morning. So......

My guess is my so called 'Moon Flower Vine' from the hardware store is really some variety of white MG. If so, I'd like to know what it is. I do like it. If I'm wrong and it is some kind of Moon Flower, I'd like to know that as well. Here is a picture (I've got more)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor