Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Have to cut back my vines today so I can bring plants in..

Posted by yippee1999 6/7 NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 16:19

I have a clematis in a 10" pot and a an american wisteria in a 14" pot. Both plants are about 6 months old.

The wisteria really grew alot and attached itself to several parts of the trellises along my balcony walls. The clematis has been a very slow grower.

Either way, in order to take the plants indoors due to impending hurricane, I need to cut them back, which I realize might not be the best timing, but I have no choice. So....does it matter if I cut them back at the highest point I can (and then cut them back down more in the Spring), or should I just cut them back low now?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Have to cut back my vines today so I can bring plants

Isn't there any way you can secure the pots so they don't fly away? The wind and rain have really picked up here and it's just getting worse. If you must move them to keep the pots from flying I'd leave at leave as much growth as possible. Good luck, stay safe and hope you don't get any damage from Sandy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here