Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potato vine

Posted by migarden z5 MI US (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 23, 08 at 16:43

Not sure what the right forumis for this but...was digging up my potato vines before frost gets them and I noticed have potatoes on the roots. I always thought they were simply ornamental and would not produce a potato. At any rate, was wondering if I can use the potatoes to make plants in the spring and if so, how do I store them for winter, etc. I know some are Marguerite and some are dark purple - not sure of the name.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Ipomoea batatas ornamental sweet potato vine overwinter root

migarden - The Ornamental cultivars of Ipomoea batatas produce a sweet potato root that is just as edible as the non-ornamental types...in fact the entire plant is totally edible except for the seeds...the leaves can be eaten fresh in a salad or made into fritters...

The root can be overwintered by placing into sawdust or any other medium which has good aeration...keep it from drying out completely by dampening once in awhile...

You can also try overwintering the Ipomoea batatas rot and vine by placing it in a sunny window where the root may continue to produce some leaves,but not quite as prolifically as when the vine is outdoors during the summer...

The vines are susceptible to overly drying out if the house heat is very dry or if the vine is placed where dry heat will impact on the leaves by rapidly drying them out faster than the vine can maintain hydration...

Good Luck with your vines...

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea batatas in the PlantFiles...

o
RE: potato vine

Hi,
I've never had any luck with the potato, so I always bring them in and use them as an indoor plant all winter. Mine grow like weeds, and I usually have to trim them and root the trimmings as well.
good luck.

o
RE: potato vine

Migarden is it an Ipomoea or a Solanum?
If it is Solanum Crispum,(Chilean Potato Vine) I wouldn't advise eating any part of it as they do contain Tropane Alkaloids.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here