Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtridgway

vine for overhead trellis

mtridgway
12 years ago

Hello,

I've been looking for a fast growing perennial vine to replace grape vines currently growing on a trellis over top of a deck. The grape vines are a lot of work, are quite messy, and don't produce many edible grapes anyway, but I like the shade that the large leaves provide.

I'd like to replace the grapes with an equally fast growing vine that will also provide shade. The vines need to be relatively low maintenance besides the obvious need for trimming around the edges of the trellis.

I've been considering Virginia Creeper and a couple species of Ivy, but their leaves are small and it seems like it would take quite a while before they create shade comparable to the grape vines'. Clematis is another option, but I'm unsure which variety would best suit my purpose.

The soil is less than ideal (typical clay/acidic Pennsylvania dirt), and the western side of the trellis (where the vines will be planted) is partially shaded from the sun by a large privacy wall while the top is in full sun. In your opinion, what kind of vines would be most ideal? (including or not including the ones I mentioned) Again I'd like it to be fast growing and low maintenance, and it must be perennial in zone 6. Something with large leaves like a grape vine would be nice, and flowers or fall colors are optional in this case but would be a nice bonus.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio