Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oloughma

Identify vine

oloughma
15 years ago

Hello .. sorry I don't have a picture of this vine. I saw it growing over a forsythia. It had white flowers around the middle of summer and I noticed the leaves looked like a maple leaf so I thought it must be what is called 'vine maple'. Well .. I just went out now to rescue the forsythia from this vine and discovered some kind of fruit. Looks about the size of a kiwi fruit but lighter green, and has large spines all around. The spines seem fairly soft but I had gloves on. Some of these were closed at the bottom and others had opened and I could see a couple of chambers within the fruit and a seed inside one of those. I came inside and looked up 'vine maple' on the internet but those don't look anything like this vine and also seem to be a soft growing tree where this is much more a true vine. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I have seen what looks like the same thing growing along the roadside but I had never seen the fruit before. It was quite heavy when I pulled it off the shrubs. Thanks for any help. If I don't get an answer I will try to get a picture of it. I don't seem to have a camera handy with charged batteries.

Cheers,

Maria

Comments (3)