Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help ID mystery vine

Posted by gardener_sandy z7 VA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 23, 10 at 17:39

A friend found a vine growing in an alley in Richmond, VA, zone 7, that he's trying to ID. Dry soil area, heart shaped opposite leaves about 3" long, 4.5" long seed pod on 1" long stem, about 1" in diameter in the middle. We are both acquainted with identification keys and have used the VT dendrology key with no luck. Any suggestions? (Click on the thumbnails below for full size pictures.)
Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com
Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com
Thanks for any help.
Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help ID mystery vine

I don't know what it is, but I'd love to trade for some seeds! Email me for my list.

o
RE: vine ID - Cynanchum laeve - Honeyvine Milkweed

Cynanchum laeve - commonly know as Blue Vined Milkweed, Honeyvine Milkweed ,Sand Vine ;
I generally confine my ID's to Morning Glories but in this instance I'm familiar with the plant in question as it is commonly thought to be some type of Morning Glory due to the heart shaped leaves , although the seedpods are typical for a milkweed...

hope that helps...

Ron

o

That does look like it. I'll send the info along to my friend. Thanks. And I'm glad we found an ID before he planted the seeds. Apparently it can be very invasive in our area.

Sandy

o

Sorry, but at this time there are no seeds available for trade. He only collected one seed pod and the parent plant does not belong to him. He may have some at a later time. If so, I'll post here.

Thanks for all the help and inquiries.

Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here