Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spiderwoman_gw

Do morning glories cross species?

spiderwoman
16 years ago

Hi, I have a couple of volunteer vines that I was sure was lavendar moonvine because the vines have soft thorns along the main vines. When they began blooming however, the flower is closer to Grandpa Ott's coloring. In another case I had seeds that I'd marked Heavenly Blue and the thorny projections are along the main vine again. The blossoms on these are the most sensational heavenly blues I've ever seen. They are about 6" in diameter and are a deep dark blue with an even darker blue star. Simply stunning. The leaves are heart shaped and lime green. Does anyone know if morning glories cross between species or is it just a fluke? I also had Brazilian morning glories growing in the general vicinity last year.

Thanks!

spiderwoman

Comments (7)

• ron_convolvulaceae
    16 years ago

Ipomoea almost never cross interspecifically...and none of the species that you mention have ever been known to cross with any other species...

Ipomoea tricolor can have the soft protuberances on some of the stems but not as marked as I.turbinata...

Ipomoea turbinata has no hair and if your unusual plants have any(!) hair then they're not Ipomoea turbinata but possibly Ipomoea purpurea...

I'd like to see any photos that you may have of the Ipomoea turbinata that you think is unusual...

Hope that helps...

TTY,...

Ron

• spiderwoman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ron, Thanks for your response on this. I kind of thought that might be the answer. Which MGs are I. tricolor and which are I purpurea?
    What would you consider unusual I. turbinatas? I have only been growing Ipomoeas for about three or four years and have tried to grow too many varieties at one time to really observe what is unusual. I guess it is just this year that I am beginning to take note of variables like which seeds mature face up, which dry face down, how many buds are in a blossom cluster, and things like that. Can you refer me to a readable discussion of the genus?
    I appreciate your time and thoughts in this and in many other threads on these lovely plants.
    spiderwoman

• ron_convolvulaceae
    16 years ago

spiderwoman - You had mentioned

"I have a couple of volunteer vines that I was sure was lavendar moonvine because the vines have soft thorns along the main vines. When they began blooming however, the flower is closer to Grandpa Ott's coloring"

I would consider that an unusual Ipomoea turbinata...any photos available(?)...

Ipomoea tricolor is always completely glabrous(no hair) and has seedpods that remain erect.

Ipomoea hederacea and Ipomoea nil are hairy and have seedpods that remain erect.

Ipomoea purpurea is hairty and has seedpods that refex to face the ground.

There are no gardener oriented discussions that clarify how to properly identify different species excepth for the discussions posted here on the GW and at the forum devoted to Morning Glories at Davesgarden...

Merchants and traders very commonly mislabel seeds as to proper botanical identity because they simply do not know how to differentiate between the species...or think that botanical accuracy is not particularly important...but for people who are very interested to know about preventing unintended crosses and/or doing intentional crosses the accurate botanical identity is in fact very important...

Hope that helps...

TTY,...

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea tricolor in the PlantFiles

• ron_convolvulaceae
    16 years ago

Ipomoea purpurea in the PlantFiles...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea purpurea in the PlantFiles...

• ron_convolvulaceae
    16 years ago

Ipomoea nil in the PlantFiles

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea nil in the PlantFiles

• spiderwoman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wonderful! Thank you for those links. Can we trust the names posted with photos as accurate? I find it all as very interesting and really appreaciate your educational efforts.
    I'm sorry that I don't have photos of the plants that I referred to. I think it is probably an error on my part and is perhaps two plants posing as one because the leaves are so similar.
    spiderwoman

• ron_convolvulaceae
    16 years ago

spiderwoman - The PlantFiles are about 90% accurate but there are some errors...

If you see something questionable >post to the forum...

TTY,...

Ron

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH