Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet potato vines need to go south for the winter

Posted by slinky_2009 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 27, 09 at 19:56

Hi all, I have been away from GW since 2005 (Katrina)and seem to be gettting the bug again. I have tons of sweet potato vines - both light green and dark purple (Margurite and Blackie) that are about to disappear with our first hard freeze. (North Mississippi) This is my first experience with them but I understand they have a "potato" tuber that can be saved over winter - and they are related to the morning glory vine.

Today I cut a vine approximately two yards long and shipped it to my mother in South Florida. If this works out ok I will offer them on the exchange. They root very quickly in water, and they recover very quickly when they droop from thirst.

Has anyone on this forum ever tried growing them indoors over winter? Any suggestions on what to do with my huge "crop" of sweet potato vines before they freeze will be greatly appreciated. I will post a picture if I can figure it out. My first attempt failed because the file was too large.
Thanks, Slinky a/k/a Sylvia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet potato vines need to go south for the winter

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 28, 09 at 16:00

Is the root winter hardy? If so, why not leave them in the ground? If not, can you dig the roots to store indoors like I have to do with Dahlia tubers in Delaware?

Welcome back to GW!

Joseph

o

Thanks Joseph. It is good to be back. I will try both - digging roots and storing some indoors. There are just so many pretty vines I hate to see them bite the dust. I cut a lot of them before our first frost and stuck them in water - in garbage cans, buckets, vases, whatever I could find. But that barely put a dent in it. I'm experimenting with trying to root some of the vines with most of the leaves removed. If that works they will be easier to ship. The leaves are so delicate.

Sylvia

o

Thanks Joseph. It is good to be back. I will try both - digging roots and storing some indoors. There are just so many pretty vines I hate to see them bite the dust. I cut a lot of them before our first frost and stuck them in water - in garbage cans, buckets, vases, whatever I could find. But that barely put a dent in it. I'm experimenting with trying to root some of the vines with most of the leaves removed. If that works they will be easier to ship. The leaves are so delicate.

Sylvia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here