Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unruly Grapevine

Posted by radiogirl78 Ontario (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 07 at 20:12

Hi, I just moved into a house that has an unruly grapevine hanging down from a trellace in the backyard. There seems to be quite a bit of dead foliage intertwined with the good stuff. How do I go about pruning it?

Thanks,
Amy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unruly Grapevine

In my experience grapes should be pruned WAY back, now.
Don't hesitate to bring it into extreem control, even if you plan to have it grow next year. It will enjoy the severe cutback. You may want to lave sveral leaders that encompass the area involves, 2 or 3 may be appropriate, extending to the midway point of the trellace.

o

I just moved into my grandmothers house a year ago - she cared for 2 arbors but they both have been neglected for years. My husband pruned one waayyy back and it grew but no fruit. Should I prune again? Will I get fruit next year? We sprayed the concord arbor, no pruning whatsoever, and the grapes were plentiful but late in growing, turned black. Is this because of improper spraying? Should we do a cutback on this one? Should I just try to prune the dead to let more light thru?

o

I was wrong about when I used to prune grapes, it is spring!

here is some useful info

http://mtvernon.wsu.edu/frt_hort/grape_pruning_basics.htm

o

• Posted by sabe z7 NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 19, 07 at 12:15

Lynette,
if you observe the proper pruning techniques, but still don't have fruit, then you most likely need more light.

If the vines have been in long neglect, most likely all the nearby trees and shrubs have been neglected too, or at least, have now grown tall enough that they are now blocking out light that the vines used to get.

I've found grapes need full sun, with no overhanging canopy stealing the light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here