Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerris2

Anyone like blue morning glories?

I have been enjoying this blue morning glory very much this summer. I have given it the name 'Thomas Francis Cozzone'. I will followup with more photos soon.

Joseph

Comments (50)

• dena_eft
    11 years ago

Joseph, that is so pretty! I have one I call Love is Blue. It's huge. Whats wrong with the leaves on my Blue Silk? :) Arum

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gotta pic of your leaves?

Original Author
    11 years ago

I'd love to see Love is Blue.

• dena_eft
    11 years ago

I don't post pics. No camera now. It's brown and splochy, but it soesn't harm the flowers.

Original Author
    11 years ago

It sounds like leaf rust, which is a commonly seen pathogen on MG leaves in late summer and fall. It is tragic, it turns all the pretty leaves to ugliness dangling and swaying in the breeze.

• dena_eft
    11 years ago

Banishing all thought of the blight, the blue silkiness of the flower it'self is consuming,- reminding us of what a morning glory creates, in the early morning hour. :)

• emmagrace2
    11 years ago

I had/have LOTS of Blues this year.
    Here is one of several Blue HIGE vines

This one is HUGE & FLUFFY

Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, Emma, that blue Hige totally rocks!

• emmagrace2
    11 years ago

Thanks Joseph,
    I must get a good photo showing the entire plant in full bloom. It is LOADED with Blooms, and now is loaded with seeds.

This Blue was very interesting that I had growing this year.

• dena_eft
    11 years ago

emma, that last one is a real winner. :)

Original Author
    11 years ago

What electric dazzling blues in the last flower photo, Emma! Awesome!!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Heavenly Blue, we love you!

• dena_eft
    11 years ago

Yes, nothing compares, but I might be too sentimental, because this big blue ruffeley one I have is amazing. Hey,where's the spell check? :)

• HL_Nursery777
    11 years ago

Hi gerris2, do you have any spare seeds of your 'Thomas Francis Cozzone'? I have a few seeds that I could trade with if you would like. I am just impressed by that picture.

Happy Gardening and Thanks!

Dustin

• emmagrace2
    11 years ago

Thank you Dena and Joseph . . .

I grew one this year very similar to what Joseph has. Most blooms were solid but some were Striated like this one

• sandyl
    11 years ago

I had several Heavenly Blues this year: I saved some seeds. They were BEAUTIFUL:)

• sandyl
    11 years ago

I had several Heavenly Blues this year: I saved some seeds. They were BEAUTIFUL:)

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Beautiful flowers on this post. Emmagrace, where did you get the seeds for the blue MG you posted?

• emmagrace2
    11 years ago

Thank you ladyrose65,

All 3 photos I posted above are from many vines I grew this year.

Here is another of my Crosses from 2012

Original Author
    11 years ago

I would water your garden for a month and pull weeds for that time period for a seed of that JMG whose photo you just posted, Emma. Hahaha (it's true though haha)

Here's a blue one I grew, a product of Emma's crossing work.

• dena_eft
    11 years ago

The ice and snow here in Baltimore is so nasty,stayed home by the fire all day. So good to have beautiful blooms to look at while dreaming of Spring. :) Arum

Original Author
    11 years ago

ladyrose65, Send me a message via email and we can discuss your question regarding marketing further.

This post was edited by gerris2 on Sun, Dec 30, 12 at 6:06

• emmagrace2
    11 years ago

Joseph, You are so funny - but - You are on . . . lol
    Note made

Joseph, that last Bloom is so awesome.

ladyrose65
    My crystal ball is telling me that
    it is recommended to check eBay within the next week.

Here is another pretty Blue from 2012

This post was edited by emmagrace2 on Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 23:34

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Joseph, I just bought some Japanese Morning Glory Seeds from Amazon.com. I just love the way they look. When would be the best time to start the seeds? Should I start in cactus mix, or miracle grow potting soil? The only instructions were to soak the seeds for 24 hrs before planting. I am in Tx zone 9 coastal. Grandpa Ott is too invasive, it almost killed my palm and oak trees. I love the Japanese Morning Glory, so I thought I would give them a try this year. I heard they are not invasive. If you could please share any tips on how I can succeed growing JMG in my area. I am going to plant them in Rockport Tx. Barbra

Original Author
    11 years ago

Emma, that last one you posted knocked my socks clean off and right into the washer. Wow! You know that is near my favorite shade of blue, too.

Barbara, Emma is in Texas, you two ought to get together during the spring and summer so that you can see her Texas Asagao Ranch. Be sure to bring a lot of tissue to dab up the drool. She can give advice on growing JMGs under Texas sun and environmental conditions better than anyone.

Barbara, it sounds like you know how to germinate out morning glory seeds. That's a very good start. The key thing to growing JMGs in the early part of the growing season is to place the seedlings or germinated seeds in growing medium that is consistently warm (high 60s and up). Ipomoea nil especially is sensitive to cold wet soil and will refuse to live if placed in these growing conditions. When you are growing out seedlings, it is good to use soil-less potting medium, like the ones you mentioned. Do not give the seedlings any fertilizer until they get 4 true leaves or so. Dechlorinated tap water is fine for watering.

I invite others to contribute what works for them in growing JMGs.

Original Author
    11 years ago

This one is from Emma's varietal crossing work which I grew out this past summer. Unfortunately it gave almost no seeds. Of the seeds I did collect I recall only one looking viable. I will try growing it out again this summer.

It has no varietal name. Pray for life from the seeds I collected.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Do you know what part of Texas Emmas is in? I have tons of plants to trade, if she is interested. I have an acre of tropical plants. Also have tons of vines she might be interested in. My favorite is the blue pea vine, and passion vine, Not sure if the reds ones will come back this year, I hade so many host butterflys this year. Barbra

Original Author
    11 years ago

I invite you to contact her directly. She has contributed to this post a few times, her GW name is emmagrace2.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emma's GW Email Page

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a very large flower Japanese MG, Aogakayama is the variety name. The flower on the seed packet from the vendor shows this deep blue color, however, the first flowers that appeared were deep dark pink. The blue flowers appeared later on in the summer.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's what the pink form looked like.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Pretty, looks almost like an Hibiscus.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I sent an email to Emma, and still have not received a reply. I purchased Japanese MG seeds last year, and planted them. Not one seed came up. This year I purchased seeds again, thru Amazon.com. I just wanted to know what I was doing wrong, I really do want to have Morning Glory blooms this year. If anyone could please just answer my questions, should I put the seeds directly out in March? Can I just use Miracle grow potting soil? Should I plant them in direct sun, or morning or afternoon shade? Thanks for any information that I could use, to help me grow these plants. Barbra

• betelgeuse3
    11 years ago

Some blue Ipomoea flowers are of a high aesthetic value. They are beautiful both as single plants and in combination with others. Here is a photo of the latter case when I had planted together I.Tricolor "Heavenly Blue," I.Hederacea, I.Nil blue Hige (Japanese) and I. Nil Kikyo Zaki Murasaki-Platycodon/Picotee. They soon intertwined with a well-established Polygonum Baldschuanicum producing an interesting visual impact with a blend of white and shades of blue on a dark green background.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Barbara, please post a new thread with your how to grow JMGs questions, and I'd be happy to try to help you there. This discussion is off-topic for this thread. Please don't take offense, I did not mean this comment to be that way.

Betelgeuse3, that is a beautiful mix of MGs in your photo. The blue and white are a dynamite combination.

• emmagrace2
    11 years ago

Thank you Joseph,
    duly noted on the MG you like. It was one of my very favorites that I grew last year.
    Your Blue MG that you got only one seed from is a very unusual color. Hope it will sprout for you.

Hi Barbara,
    I did reply to your email to me.

I will re-send that today. Most I can't reply on this thread because it directs you to my web page.

Also, it might be a good idea if you have the chance for us to talk on the phone so I can share some of my growing experiences with you.

Emma

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Thanks, Barbra

Original Author
    11 years ago

Blue Silk morning glory looks great on the trellis. I need to grow this one and a couple of other old friends again this summer.

• ron_convolvulaceae
    11 years ago

Hey Jerry (from JGE , "What's the Story") - Do you see what I see regarding the tube in your "Akatsuki no Tsuyu"...yes, you got it right a partially reversed tube...partially encasing the style and the stamens...

Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess I missed that, Ron. It seemed to be a normal tube to me. I'll have to look at the photo on a larger monitor than what I can see on my cell phone touch screen.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I saw what you're talking about, Ron. I wish I had tagged that flower now.

Original Author
    11 years ago

This one was supposed to be dense grey but came out this awesome blue. This yellow leaf JMG would also be good for making bonsai-style plant presentation.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Heavenly Blue is a knockout MG on the trellis.

• dena_eft
    11 years ago

Joseph, my goodness are those eye candy! :) I think I'm just going to have'ft to visit the garden center and get some Heavenly Blue MG seeds. What's the name of the deep blue one? :) Arum

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Dena. The deep blue one hasn't a name yet. It was among my favorites from a few years ago.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

The deep blue is awesome!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, ladyrose65! It has color that is very deep, more so than even Akatsuki no Umi.

Here's a cute smaller flower Ipomoea nil I grew a few years ago. I admired the striping patterns it made. Each flower was the same color scheme but the patterns were a lovely variation a theme.

• dena_eft
    11 years ago

Joseph, what a pretty little thing. :) Hey, how are the leaves on that deep blue one, any sign of disease? :) Arum

Original Author
    11 years ago

I do not get hit with rust every year. I think that year I grew deep blue it was a rust free summer.

• dena_eft
    11 years ago

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but for some reason I thought the problem was with the seed itself. So I may grow a MG that had rust one summer, but won't have it the next? I grew one where the leaves were so bad, but my other MG"s weren't effected.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Dena, we can talk about diseases more in-depth in a thread you start on that topic if you wish? I am not an expert but it is my understanding rust disease is environmental and is not passed to progeny in seeds.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living