Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grape vine bare root planting

Posted by pezzuti9 z5 PA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 22, 05 at 22:06

Sorry if I am on the wrong forum page.
My concern is this. I live in Pennsylvania zone 6 and I just ordered some Alden grape vines from a nursery located in NY State. They informed me that they are just digging them out and will be shipped bare root out to me in a short while.

Since it is the 22nd of October my concern is that it may to late to plant them outside considering the zone I live in. Would I be better off if when the plants arrive to place them in pots filled with soil in front of a southern facing window in my basement until next spring and then place them out in the garden or plant them now using mulch around them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thank you.
Lou
NE, PA Zone 6

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grape vine bare root planting

Unless your ground is frozen, plant them outside now. They will arrive as bare root pruned plants, but if the ground is a little warm, they will set root this fall. I hope you didn't order a bunch of seedless grapes. It should be illegal to sell them in the East without an explanation that they need to be sprayed from July til harvest. At any rate, plant the grapes where your arbor is/will be. Pruning in the early years is important too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here