Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
halfwaythere

progress Thunbergia Grandiflora (Blue Sky Vine, Bengal Clock Vine

halfwaythere
10 years ago

I live at the end of a cul-de-sac. The advantage is, due to the pie-shaped plots we have a huge, private yard, The downside is we have a really narrow front yard. We removed a very old, overgrown tree that was hanging over and touching the roof which then revealed this lovely view from my kitchen window of my neighbors big, red, honkin' truck. It's a fine truck, I just don't want to look at it all day :) So after much research here on GW I decided to go for Thunbergia Grandiflora for it's rapid growth and lovely blue flowers. The first photo was taken in Sep and the second photo in October. Holey Moley is it ever doing the job! I am very happy :) I placed 2 cedar boards vertically against the left and right side, and 1 horizontally over the top. I drilled holes in all of the boards so I could tie a grid of strings. It ended up being, 24 vertical strings and 15 horizontal strings, super inexpensive. I planted 2 Thunbergia Plants bought at a local nursery and planted them in the ground about a foot from each column and weaved them vertically up the trellis. There was some immediate die off probably from transplant shock so I trimmed off about half of the vines that died and within a week a lot more shoots came out. I weaved almost every day to keep them separated and climbing on their own string. Every one of the 24 vertical strings had it's own vine climbing and I cut off the extra vines. After it reached the top, and kept going and going, I wrapped it around the top board to obscure the board. I have gone around the top board 3 time now with each vine and now I'm going to just let it droop and see what happens. I guess I'll just trim if it gets too low. The horizontal shoots are coming in like crazy now so I am now weaving horizontally. Some I am letting droop as well, where it is getting too crowded. Well that's my story. I'll keep posting pics as it grows if anyone is interested. I can't wait for the blooms.

This post was edited by halfwaythere on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 22:44

Comments (8)