Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumeriafl

Help me pick a flowering vine for my pergola!

plumeriafl
14 years ago

Would mandevilla "Alice du Pont" be a good choice? I want it to grow up and over a 9-foot pergola.

How about jasmine (I have no idea which)?

This is for a sunny location, zone 9b, and I definitely want something with flowers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (5)

• laura2009
    14 years ago

I just planted Crossvines ("Tangerine Beauty") and they're pretty and quick-growing. I've also grown confederate jasmine, which is nice. Not as showy as the Crossvines, but smells nice in the summer.

• plumeriafl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmm, not familiar with crossvines. I don't know if I've seen them at local nurseries. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip.

• dena_eft
    14 years ago

Sweet Autumn Clematis :) Arum

• pippi21
    14 years ago

Is this pergola attached to your house or away from your house in another area of the property? Some vines are beautiful but can damage house siding and bricks..A trumpet vine is beautiful, reseeds itself and you'll find new sprouts everywhere in your yard where the seeds have blown and dropped themselves but can also do damage to a building, same way with wisteria. The sweet autumn clematis is a fast growing vine. Ivy will do damage to even brick or wood siding. Be careful what you choose.

• moonwolf_gw
    14 years ago

A honeysuckle would look good. Just make sure not to plant the Japanese variety, even though the fragrance is hard to resist.

Brad AKA Moonwolf