Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redyoyo

How to grow healthy morning glory in the tropics?

redyoyo
15 years ago

Hi. I am a new member. Can anyone advise me on growing morning glory in a tropical country?

Unlike many of the participants here, I live in the South East Asia, in a small country call Malaysia. Anyone heard of us before? In my country, it is tropics all year round with ample sunshine and average temperature of 28 degree Celsius, well, perhaps 30 Celsius nowadays due to global warming. We get lots of rain throughout the year too.

I got some MG seeds from an ebay seller who is from a neighboring country. I planted them in my front yard. I expected them to grow bushy with leaves & vines & flowers but what I get is only few small, thin vines and about 30 blooms for the 1st month.

Most of the heavenly blue MG dies in their seedling stage, some die in adult stage before bloom. They look healthy & thriving in the morning before I leave for work, when I got home in the evening, the whole plant withered & die. I feel so sad & yet have no idea what went wrong.

The Grandpa Ott MG seems to be doing much better but after about a month of continuous blossoms, they seem to stop blooming and the older leaves at the bottom yellowed.

I also noticed that my MG leaves which are so lively in the early morning will become lifeless when it gets warmer throughout the day. They regained energy again in the cooler evening when the sun fades.

I suspect that the tropics may be just way too warm, wet and humid to grow a healthy MG. I have bought more seeds & will plant my second batch in a much shaded, less water area.

Or is there anyone here who can give me some good advice?

A photo of my front yard, I use bamboo torch as support for the MG

They were doing well in the first 2 weeks

One die later, it was a Heavenly Blue type

The most productive Grandpa Ott

My very fist Heavenly Blue bloom

Not doing well

Here is a link that might be useful: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/568218304lWCQoW

Comments (4)