Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vine ID Needed

Posted by Hurtle NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 9:40

Growing wild in Jersey City, NJ. Can anyone identify what this is?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vine ID Needed

Ampelopsis brevipedunculata? And something this pretty can't be good for you, right? Well, it is an imported plant that can be invasive. This one is a known invasive from Massachusetts to Virginia.

This is sort of like ice cream. A little is good, but if your whole diet is ice cream, then problems ensue. Allowing this plant to grow is like converting to an ice cream diet. Things go wonderful for a while.

Edit: If Flora says Parthenocissus, I would go with that ID. The color of the berries wasn't quite right, but I ascribed that to decay. Now I ascribe that to incorrect ID.

This post was edited by Dzitmoidonc on Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 12:31

o

I have never seen Ampeloposis brevipedunculata but I'm pretty sure this plant is Parthenocissus tricuspidata, Boston Ivy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boston Ivy

o

Seems like Boston Ivy. Did once plant Amelopsis, for the fantastic little berries. Still have it as an invasive pest here. Would have never let it out of a pot and hung it over a place where the berries would fall on stone. A monster.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here