Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevin_gw

Fast Growing Vine for Chicken Run

stevin
12 years ago

I'm seeking a fast growing vine that will provide deep shade for my chickens during the summer. The past couple of years I've used a shade cloth that supposedly blocks out 70% of the sunlight but does not provide enough shade to keep my chickens comfortable during the hot months of the year. I have a 12' wide x 18' long x 6' high chain link fence area with chain link panels enclosing the top to discourage hawks & owls from swooping down. The run is attached to the coop and I'm prepared to deal with the vines growing onto the coop.

Can anyone suggest a vine that is not toxic to chickens because they will attempt to eat the leaves and flowers on the vines. A vine that will be able to shoot up the 6' fence and across the 12' wide top and will be able to cover the chicken run within the first year or two. I don't mind planting multiple vines of the same type or even different types of vines for contrast. Some of the vines that have caught my eye is wisteria, honeysuckle, grape & trumpet, but I believe that the trumpet vine may be toxic. I live in Massachusetts so a vine that will survive the harsh New England winters would be great. And I'm also open for a fast growing annual vine that would provide the same results.

Comment (1)