Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
silver lace vine

Posted by gaoyuqing 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 07 at 11:36

Ok, question. Planted two of these this year and they were one of my few success stories. However, aside from a few scraggly flowers, I got nothing out of one, and nothing at all out of the other. Is this a common first year thing or is there a trick to making them blossom like the pictures you see?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: silver lace vine

ack...also...when are you supposed to trim these? fall or spring? how far down should I cut?

o

hmmm..... grew it once but treated it like an annual
It flowers well late summer/fall. Only trick I can think of is getting enough "hardwood" to allow flowering.
That means good growth . Mine were in very rich soil
hope this helps

o

Hmmm, it is pretty sandy overall, but considering the rate and size to which it grew, it couldn't have been TOO bad of soil... :( oh well, we'll see how it does next year... anyone else know whether to prune them or when to?

o

I lived in MN and these grew like crazy. It does take a year or two for them to really get going and then you can expect tons of blossoms. I figured the first year was just for the roots so sounds like you are already ahead of the game. I would wait until Spring to make any pruning decisions - the plant will make it clear what needs to be cut away.

o

Gaoyuqing, how much Sun is your SLV getting?
They need Full Sun more than good soil.
I planted mine in what turned out 2B mostly shade.
It didn't do much so I moved it after 2 or 3 years.
Moved it to a Full Sun location and it bloomed profusely.
It was really Beautiful!
My soil here is heavy clay and I didn't ever fertilize it.
But it got too big so I gave it away after 3 or 4 years.
Seems like it died back every winter.
It bloomed so late that I waited until Spring (and warmer weather) to cut it back - heavily. I only left enuf of the old vines for new vines to climb up on.

If you are trying to grow these in semi-shade and want white flowers in fall - try growing Sweet Autumn Clematis.
Best Wishes, Barbara.

o

Ok great thanks :) both vines, especially considering where they've climbed and spread to should be getting plenty of sun. One could get more, but it turns out that when laid across the shingles of my little garden gate, the sun cooks them :P will try some different things next year and wait it out a bit to see if I'll get more of a blooming next year. Thanks for the tips and info, that was just the sort of info I was looking for :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here