Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to winterize a Mandeville?

Posted by claud_2008 Zone 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 13, 08 at 11:47

I have a Mandeville in the ground that faces north and is wrapped around a trellis. My first one :) and it is doing great! But not that the fall is approaching, I've noticed some yellowing/browning of the leaves. I wonder if its due to the cool weather we're now getting? Also, what do I need to do to it to prepare it for the winter? Do I prune it? If so, how much? Can I save the clippings?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
I love plants and am a novice one too..
Thank you,
Claud

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to winterize a Mandeville?

Your vine is yellowing because it's going dormant. It is supposed to be hardy in your zone, with lots of mulch. I live in zone 8b and have a neighbor who's Mandevilla comes back from the roots each year. Hers is on the east side and up next to the foundation of her house.

o
RE: How to winterize a Mandeville?

I found this on the web: The flowers of the mandevilla tend to bloom in waves throughout the summer, and may bloom more throughout the year in tropical climates. Unopened flowers appear thin and pointed. When the blooms open, they have a deep gold center, and the flowers may equal the width of the leaves. A few varieties of mandevilla produce scented flowers.

Mandevilla prospers well in the US in areas like Florida, the Deep South, and in Southern California. If left outside in colder areas, such as Northern California, it tends to die back each year. All is not lost, however. With spring, the plant will usually begin to sprout again.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Mandevillas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here