Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Schisandra chinensis (Magnolia vine)

Posted by raee zone 5-6 OH (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 07 at 12:11

Hi, does anyone have an update on their experience with this vine in the Midwest? Are the fruits &/ or flowers as decorative as described by the garden catalog? Any problems?

Raee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Schisandra chinensis (Magnolia vine)

Flowers are small (but calling them magnolia-like is fair if you are using a magnifying glass). The few flowers mine produced last year were fragrant, but not overwhelmingly so. I have yet to have fruit set. It is an otherwise healthy plant that grows well for me in partial shade.

Be warned, this plant is sexed. There are separate male and female plants, and you will need both if you are looking to produce fruit (there is a restaurant in Mass that reportedly sells juice and uses the fruit culinarily). There is a self-fertile variety called, I think, Eastern Prince. A good source for it will be linked below.

~Chills

Here is a link that might be useful: burnt ridge nursery

o
RE: Schisandra chinensis (Magnolia vine)

I have the Eastern Prince and Planted it about 3 or 4 years ago and although it has vined about 6 or more feet no flowers yet....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here