Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
see how good you are in id :)

Posted by v1rtu0s1ty Zone 5a, Northern IL (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 14, 10 at 15:21

Saw a dormant vine about 15 ft long. I saw dried pods and I took them. :)

Here it is. Can someone please id it?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: see how good you are in id :)

Some kind of peas or beans I would think.

o

I think I got it. It's Wisteria. Someone told me that he's seen 2 types of seeds, one from Chinese Wisteria and the other one from American wisteria. Chinese W is flat while the American W is rounded.

I looked for wisteria seeds in google and looks like I really do have wisteria seeds. Please see external link below. It's the Wisteria Seedpod.

Here are pictures I took 5 mins ago. I placed the seedpod I harvested against the picture from the link I found.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisteria Seedpod

o

Looks like it for sure!

o

:) So is it really wisteria?

By the way, your gardenweb handle is my real name :P

I hope it's a Blue Moon variety. I'll visit the vine in spring so I can check how long the racemes are. :)

Here is a closer shot of the seed

o

LOL! It's my name too...short for Veronica

From looking at a few pictures of seeds it looks the same to me. Type "American Wisteria seed" into google and the 2nd link will show you a few pictures of the seed. I can't post the link here.

o

Ok. I was able to talk to the people in the library. Unfortunately, they don't know what vine it is. They only know there's vine there. :(

Looks like I will really have to wait in spring for it to see it. I'm going there this weekend to take a picture of the base and to examine where the runners/suckers go.

o

I went to the area again today to return the bluray movies I rented from the library. Looks like it is a Chinese Wisteria. It's because the twining is counter clockwise. I also scrutinized the base and the area and I saw suckers about only 1 to 2 ft from the main trunk. So it looks like it's not that aggressive here in our area.

Anyways, Chinese Wisterias doesn't have long racemes. I'm not sure if I still want this vine.

o
Vine pictures

Here are the pictures I took today.

o

It is likely to be American Wisteria. Wisteria frutescans

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=WIF

Karen

o
Comparing seeds of America,Chinese and Japanese wisteria.

Sorry about the link. This should fix it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Compare Seeds on USDA plant site

o
one more thing to correct a typo

I don`t see where I can edit small errors like this.

The correct spelling is wisteria frutescens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here