Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sterile wisteria .??

Posted by vieja z7NM (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 07 at 16:19

I have an 8 yr. old wisteria that was flowerng when I bought it. I have trained like a vine to crawl along the top of a fence hoping the flower clusters would drape down over the fence top as I have seen others in the area do. This vine has never flowered again & yet I have a tree wisteria near by that never quits blooming all summer long!

I was told to try stressing it ... no fertilizer, cut back on watering, even chopping around the roots at the base to stress/encourage it to bloom but no luck! The nursery here says they can be tempermental... some bloom & some do not but to always buy one in bloom as I did & not to try & grow one from seed with the hopes of it blooming either!

Any ideas short of digging it out & tossing it?

- Marilynn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sterile wisteria .??

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 15, 07 at 20:31

Look and see if the part that was flowering is the same part that grew. I'm wondering if it was grafted and the seedling it was grafted on is what made the vigorous new growth that hasn't flowered.

o
RE: sterile wisteria .??

First question...When do you trim? and try cow manure compost to amend your soil before spring. I hope that helps, I love my wisteria's, I have a blue and white, (Looking for a Burgundy one called "Black Magic" I saw a picture and the flowers looked like clusters of grapes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here