Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie needs advice

Posted by zbrownthumb 10B (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 07 at 17:20

Hello all. I have never had any luck gardening. I can kill a pothos. My back fence needs vining plants. It gets full afternoon sun. We have clay like soil. I would like it to be flowering vine, but don't care for hibiscus. Since this is So. California, it would also be nice for it to be drought resistant. I have tried talking to nursery employees, but they really don't seem that knowledgeable, so I sought out this forum. Thank you for any advice you may have, or suggestions on where else to look.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie needs advice

Vines in Clay? Wow. I live with pure sand here. Clay is foreign to me. But for a vine,wouldn't alamanda work? And if you go to any garden center, what they carry is USUALLY what will grow in your area.
I didnt know that hibiscus would grow in clay. It grows here in sand great. But it isn't for a fence cover anyway. BUT if you go to a garden center like Home Depot or Lowes or some big name, they will carry what will grow in your area ,USUALLY.
At like mothers day, we get hydrangas here,and they dont last past 1 month,if that!
That is for a special time only. So, if you see a lot of a certain vine in these stores. Chances are,you dont have to ask them,'will this grow here'.Because they give you a year warranty to bring it back if it dies,they do here at least. And if it is in that center, they want you to come back and buy more!! So they want what you buy to live. My $.02.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here