Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trumpet creeper question

Posted by v1rtu0s1ty Zone 5a, Northern IL (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 7, 10 at 20:14

I was at the nursery today. I wasn't able to control to buy the trumpet vine. It was regularly price at $24 and I got it for $3. I have heard horror stories about this invasive vine(suckering) but what I am planning to do is plant it on a real big pot. On the label, it says zone 4 hardy. Do you think it will withstand our winter? The pot will be placed on top of my paver patio.

Thanks!

Neil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trumpet creeper question

Neil, did you ever get an answer to your question? It won't flower as well in the pot if at all. The real danger is it may escape out the bottom of the pot and through the space in the pavers and show up 20 or 30 feet away before you realize it!!! I've got 2 at my new home that were planted last year(2009) I uprooted what I could spring of 2010, and by the fall they were coming back up as if they were never removed. Had I known they were there I may seriously have considered not buying this home. I was willing to put up with trying to erradicate poison ivy before dealing with campsis radicans again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here