Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cover a wall with climbers and/or vines

Posted by adri 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 07 at 21:47

I live in Long Beach, CA. I have a west facing retaining wall that I want to cover with climbers and/or vines. I am looking for something fast growing and with color.

Your suggestion are greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cover a wall with climbers and/or vines

Macfadyena unguis-cati (Cat Claw Vine) is fast-growing, lush green all year round, and blooms brilliant yellow in spring.

It's used a lot around L.A. County to conceal golf courses and along the freeway. It drapes over a wall, a lovely cascade. (It's also an eager climber, so don't plant it near things it can grab.)

If you like pinks better, any of the Pandoreas (Pink Bower Vine) are also tough and bloom much of the year. Easy to find at any garden center. Comes in white and variegated too.

Avoid the red/orange/yellow Bignonia - Trumpet Vines. They do too well in our climate and end up eating your house.

Vigna caracalla - Lavender Snail Vine, is good for our climate, perennial, and the blooms are cool up close, but don't have a lot of impact from a distance. A good wall coverer, though. Grows easily from cuttings. You should be able to find one plant locally, then root cuttings (in water!). Don't even have to go to Roger's Gardens and pay a fortune!

And Bougainvilla DOES come in colors other than shocking pink. Slow to start, but you'll have it forever.

I could go on. Write me privately if you want more suggestions. Several vines can be planted together, so you have year-round blooms, but they have to be the right combination.

o

What grows quickly and has good coverage on a PVC fence?

o

Adri,
I can highly recommend the butterfly vine, Mascagnia macroptera. If you enjoy crafts, you might enjoy working with the pods. If you write me back, I'll send you a jpg of what I did with it. It's not fragrant, just interesting.

Xtal

o

• Posted by adri 10 (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 18, 08 at 18:44

Thank you for the responses. I have planted 6 creeping fig to cover a masonry wall. I have also planted morning glory in between. I'm waiting for them to take off as I hear they will. We'll see how it goes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here