Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerris2

My indoors JMG garden for this winter

I'm growing Japanese morning glories indoors over the winter. I find they grow nicely with some augmentation of natural light using a basic everyday use fluorescent tube. Give them short-day lighting and they flower up and make seeds nicely.

Pictured here is a seedling I'm growing at work sitting on a windowsill with a western sun exposure.

Comments (100)

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Variegated leaf of the day.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the salmon colored and curiously shaped flower of this Japanese morning glory, happily growing in a six ounce container under lights indoors.

This post was edited by gerris2 on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 8:16

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another view of the plant. Look at the large cotyledons still on the plant.

Original Author
    11 years ago

We should see the fully opened flower of two buds of this Japanese morning glory!!

Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a yellow Japanese morning glory, quite a rare color I think. We are constantly looking for the day when a strain will make a dark yellow flower like is seen in other Ipomoea species flowers. This strain shown should make single flower form but this morning it surprised me with a reverse tube.

Original Author
    11 years ago

This cute Japanese morning glory opened up its flower for me this morning. I am growing the plants indoors over the winter. It is something to distract me from winter cold and dreariness. It is 19 degrees F / -7 degrees C outside and I laugh at it, seeing this beautiful flower today.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I grew Dena's 'Bold Miss Piggy' indoors in 2009. The color was so intense I had to wear sunglasses to look at the flower.

• dena_eft
    11 years ago

Joseph, yes, it is a very pink pink. :)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Dena, all 3 JMG varieties you sent me recently germinated, even the ones you said were not fresh. I got 100% germination on all seeds I attempted.

• dena_eft
    11 years ago

Joseph, that's wonderful! I'm sure you will enjoy the blooms. :) Arum

Original Author
    11 years ago

This vine has a flower bud at every leaf node, so I'll be greeted with a morning face for at least another couple of weeks. The flower is small, at most 2 inches diameter.

• dena_eft
    11 years ago

I just started a MG myself in the house about a week ago, and to my surprise it has sprouted! Never get tired of that surprised,pleased feeling. :) Arum

Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm excited for you, Dena. Which one are you growing?

This flower shown below has less red pigment than those which appeared earlier on the plant. I like the slight blizzard color pattern near the tube.

• dena_eft
    11 years ago

I'm not sure, it's going to be a surprise. They were just laying out, and I put them in the dirt. It seems to be one of the variegated ones. Nice bloom. :)

• dena_eft
    11 years ago

I'm not sure, it's going to be a surprise. They were just laying out, and I put them in the dirt. It seems to be one of the variegated ones. Nice bloom. :)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's one that made a surprise reverse tube for me. I love it!

Original Author
    11 years ago

This plant made a nicely colored flower this morning.

• dena_eft
    11 years ago

Joseph,I'm amazed at how many MG's you have growing in the house. Quite a variety. :)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Dena, Thank you. There may seem like a lot of varieties of MGs but one variety has made different color patterns so it may seem like more than there really are growing in my home.

This summer I'll be growing Ipomoea indica, if any of these sprouted seeds survive. It will be great to see the intense blue flowers of this species.

{{gwi:2125}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

Doesn't the color in this flower make you go wild?! haha I have to suppress yelling like Tarzan in the morning to keep from waking up my family at 5 a.m.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a flower from today on an Ipomoea nil vine. I'll have a new one to show tomorrow from an Ipomoea purpurea plant.

{{gwi:2126}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll see this flower with hopes tomorrow.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is one from this morning.

{{gwi:2127}}

• Desirai
    11 years ago

what is the difference between a regular morning glory and a japanese morning glory?

Original Author
    11 years ago

There is good discussion on this subject in this GW thread (see link below). It's a good question you have, and I could not answer it any better than what Ron has posted in his thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese morning glory discussion

• Desirai
    11 years ago

thanks!! I didn't mean to be rude by asking

all your pictures are really pretty by the way.

• dena_eft
    11 years ago

Joseph, you may be waiting for the big snow, I wonder if it really will snow. Never the less this winter has been made more bearable by your post, Soon we may be able to plant outside. I finally purchased some Heavenly Blues at the dollar store! :) Guess I will be feasting my eyes on them after all. This year is going be be a great year for MG's,s I can just tell. Thanks for all the beautiful pics. Arum

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Dena! That's quite a find at the dollar store. Be sure to post lots of photos!

• Desirai
    11 years ago

if you have your MGs indoors, what are they climbing on?

Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm growing mine on circular trellis supports. You can find them at gardeners.com or eBay seller azuremore sometimes carries the ones popularly used in Japan. In one pot I'm using a teepee of 3 bamboo canes. This little MG has remained petite and doesn't need a support

Joseph

• Desirai
    11 years ago

Well if/when you transplant them outside, how will you get them off their supports?

Original Author
    11 years ago

I will not unravel the vines. They're here to stay for their life cycle. I'll sow a new crop of seeds about 2 weeks prior to last frost date for planting outdoors.

Here is an Ipomoea purpurea flower bud that should open up tomorrow!

Original Author
    11 years ago

This one opened up this morning. You can see the trace of yellow in the flower and variegated leaf, traits rarely seen in Ipomoea purpurea.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's one to go wild over.

• Desirai
    11 years ago

do you breed your own mg?

• dena_eft
    11 years ago

The striped and the white are equally beautiful.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Dena. It is a cutie pie.

Desirai, I have not gotten into breeding MGs, although it does look like fun to cross varieties to get new and spectacular flower forms.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Even as the morning glory unfolds there is something to admire.

Original Author
    11 years ago

This morning glory has subtle color around the tube, and flower size typical of Ipomoea purpurea.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry about the dark exposure. It's hard to get it correct some days.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I am happy this strain is generous with flowers.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Today brought another nice one.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I wonder where all the interest is on GW? It does not seem it is in the Vines forum.

• dena_eft
    11 years ago

Joseph, my that's silky and pretty. :) When I first came to GW it was about aroids, and then it was about trading, finally it was just about vines, mostly MG's. It doesn't really matter, I still love comming to the vine forum and seeing the beautiful MG's.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Dena. By the way, I potted on a MG plant from the seeds you sent me in a recent trade (Chocolate Explosion). It's growing in the basement under lights. I hope to see flowers soon.

I have continued this thread in another thread. The link to find out is shown below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Springtime indoors MG fun

• mazelady
    10 years ago

I'm a fan of morning glories.

So I love your solution of growing them indoors! I'm curious how much sun is needed or if an indoor grow lamp would suffice?

Also, have you ever tried to grow MG topiaries? I was wondering if that was possible and how it would look.

This post was edited by mazelady on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 12:12

Original Author
    10 years ago

It would be fun to try growing a MG on a topiary frame. The leaves may be too large for a good effect, what do you think?

The MGs I primarily grow are Ipomoea nil and Ipomoea purpurea when I grow them indoors.Give them natural light by setting the pot near a window where there is good exposure to the sun. Or, you can use artificial light, putting the light on a timer to give the plant 8-10 hours light. You would have to experiment to see what works best for your location.

Which morning glories are you growing that are getting away from you (re: invasiveness comment)?

• dena_eft
    10 years ago

Joseph, I'm growing"Noah", as I have a few seeds that reseeded.Just a couple because I tore them out before that could reseed to any extent. My problem this year is a rabbit, or should I say rabbits? They've eaten so many of my nice ones. You know you can't eat wild rabbits in the summer.

Original Author
    10 years ago

You can hope for a fox to move into your area. We used to have a rabbit plague until a fox family set up residence, now life is good.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?