Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing morning glories inside

Posted by liz62 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 5, 11 at 11:46

I got the bright idea to try to grow 2 Morning Seeds inside, well, they are doing good, can anyone tell me if they will bloom inside? I was going to put them in the front window but not enough room, I tried putting a basket and putting them in it, again not enough room. So i have it on my bookcase with the lamp above it so it will reach for the light. How many days does it take from seed to bloom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing morning glories inside

you will require very bright light. They may grow to a greater length than they would in the sun.
Gradually increase the light from 12 hrs. daily to about 16 and they should bloom in the time recommended on the packet. Scoring the seed speeds germination. White fly or spider mites, often controlled by rain and predatory insects, may make growth difficult.
One magnificent sort may be still offered by Logees Greenhouses, in Conn. Among their list, choose Opomea.
Worth looking at, even though you don't order it.

o

Here is the latest picture of my Morning Glory plant, I leave the light on most of the day, I have not counted the hours that I have had it on. They do require a lot of water, I had to water them real good the other day, they were really dry. Here is the picture if anybody has any advice (besides growing them outside), let me know, I have some Miracle Gro in a jug mixed with water, should I put some on the MG? I seem to remember it helped with the

Uploaded with ImageShack.usones outside.

o

You are going to need a lot more light, especially if you want it to bloom. It's already looking leggy.

o

Should I put the clamp on light on it? It hooks onto the desk and I can put it in almost any position I want, should I have it shining right on the plant?

o
RE: growing morning glories

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

o

Do not use any 'fertilizer's' as it will likely kill the plant at this point...the plant does not need 'fertilzer' , but adequate light and moisture both ambient and as available to the roots...

Morning Glories are light loving plants and will often fail to thrive if the light is not strong enough...the more direct sunlight or artificial light you can provide >the better...strong indirect light is also helpful but direct light is better..make sure the plants not dry out.

The hot air from the house heat can dry out MG's alot faster than the plant can maintain hydration...forced hot air heating systems are the worst for MG's...the colder it gets outside , the more the house heater will be heating and the more hot dry air is being created inside your house, the quicker the plant will dry out as the dry air literally 'sucks' the moisture out of the plant surfaces and root medium into the heated dry air...

You should consider enabling the "send me an email" feature in your control panel so members can contact you via private message....

http://members.gardenweb.com/members/

Edit Your Personal Information, Page, and Preferences

near the bottom of the page

Show my email address to: member (if you want to)

at least :

check the box in front of

"Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site."

You can send me a private message by clicking onto my user-name...

TTY,...

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Edit your personal preferences to enable private messages

o

here is a pic of my setup, do think this

Uploaded with ImageShack.us will help?

o

what does this mean? It can't be making flower pods already can it?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

o

You aint gonna believe what I found when I got up this morning, it is snowing and I have this beside me on the bookcase with a fluorescent bulb on the

Uploaded with ImageShack.usm and the Amaryllis.

o

Ain't that purty, Liz? Congrats on your bloom. I'm gonna start a couple of JMGs indoors. I have a flourescent light set up that will be supplemented by natural light from an East facing window. The room itself is very bright, getting light also from South facing window.

Ron, do you think that will be sufficient light for some growth and bloom. Also, will I be able to plant them outdoors in May or so, or will they be too tired and worn out by then (I know that feeling, lol). I know they dislike transplanting, but I have been able to transplant other things that dislike tranplanting as well, that have been very successful for me. One of the JMGs I want to plant is the Kikyo Double Purple Picotee, as I believe it is a shorter vine. True or not?

Susan

o

What a nice surprise!

Susan the only way to know is give it a try. Supplimental T5 fluorescents and metal halide light are suffcient. I don't grow them inside because of the space they take up. I don't see why you couldn't move them outside when it warms up. If they are looking kind of lanky just cut them back. The transition to natural light will most likely burn the foliage anyway, even if they are slowly adjusted to sunlight but that shouldn't be a problem as the new foliage grows. If you are worried about transplant shock you could always just sink the pots they are in into the garden or set the pot into a larger container once outside. I do that all the time with plants that don't like their roots disturbed.

o

Just wondering how your MG plant is doing? I'm thinking about giving it a shot indoors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here