Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerris2

Japanese Morning Glory

Why is it that the Japanese have the market cornered on those beautiful and breathtaking variegated leaf flowering vines? Is it a concerted effort by breeding groups in that country to develop that trait? Please don't laugh...just curious.

Joseph

Comments (119)

• grovespirit
    18 years ago

Do Japanese Morning Glory seeds need to be stratified before planting, or is soaking in warm water enough?

• grovespirit
    18 years ago

How big a pot per morning glory vine? Will I get blooms with one vine per one gallon pot?

• ARUM
    18 years ago

Well, I don't soak, but maybe I should. One vine per gallon pot should be fine. Lots of sun! :) Arum

• GardenerDc
    18 years ago

I germinate them in wet paper towels... speeds germination WAY up (for me)

Dc

• brugloverZ9
    18 years ago

This is my first post on this forum. I have recently recieved JMG seeds and was searching for what to do to plant them. I have enjoyed this thread and some of the links.
    I went ahead and placed each of seven different kinds on paper towels, labeling the packages. Then put warm water over them and put them into plastic bags and on my water heater. I plan to pot up each type in separate containers.
    I hope they will grow for me. I have never even seen one before!
    Are there any suggestions that I should know for container growing the morning glories ?
    Wish me luck, please! Thank-you! Margie

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Margie,

Have fun with them! You ought to have shoots coming out of the seeds by now. If not, then you will have them soon. You'll do ok. I would segregate morning glory cultivars to one type per container. That way you won't mix the seeds and have a pure set of seeds for trading and growing next year.

Check out Dr. Yoneda's web site on growing morning glories. It's a great resource. The reference is below.

Joseph

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Yoneda's JMG web page

• ARUM
    18 years ago

Joseph, whatcha got growin? :) arum

Original Author
    18 years ago

My Blue Silk JMGs are doing well, and hope to get a pile of flowers soon. I need to sneak the pruned JMGs out of my sunroom out into the great outdoors soon, they'll do better outside. What do you have coming along, Arum?

Joseph

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

Joseph, you had sent me some "Akatsuki No Umi" and I saw the first bloom this morning! I'm soooooooooo excited! Thanks again!!
    Tracey

• ARUM
    18 years ago

Joseph, these are a few of the MG's, and a couple of other vines I am growing.
    Pink Star
    Chocolate
    Midnight Velvet
    Purple Velvet
    Split Personality,
    Plum Frost
    Nil Cornel,
    Platycondon,
    Mt Fuji Mix,
    Strawberry Swirl,
    Heian no umi,
    Bold Ms. Piggy,
    Heavenly Blue,
    Pink Heirloom,
    Heirloom Violet,
    Mini Hirsuta,
    Mina Lobata,
    Lavender Moonvine,
    Pink Moonvine,
    Cypress Red Pinwheel
    Cypress, MIx,(red white pink)
    Scarlet O'Harah, Tye Dye pink
    Tye Dye Blue
    Double Blue Picotee
    Double Pink Picotee
    Blue Silk,
    Rose Silk
    Henka Asago
    Charamachu
    Sibori Blue Blizzard
    Early Call
    Blue Star
    Shiva
    Mini Bar Rose
    and many JMG"s that I don't know the name of. :) Arum

• irish_rose_grower
    18 years ago

Can anyone tell me where I can buy these plants or seeds? Thank you.

Maureen

• ARUM
    18 years ago

Maureen, these MG's came from people on the GW. Year before last I did a huge "VINE" trade and received all kinds of MG's, and I've also done other trades, (lots) and other folks, (some very kind ones, you know who you are, :) ) sent me different types of Japanese MG"s. I always try to have something special that folks would like in exchange, and have been collecting them since I joined the GW. I'ts gotten to where they are about the most exciting thing to grow. " A gift every morning"! Start doin some trading and some posting and you'll find that you will collect many. :) arum

• ARUM
    18 years ago

Joseph, the "Akatsuki No Umi" you sent me has germinated, (actually a few days ago), I thought I was going to miss out, but it is really taking off! ( Lot's of smiles from me)! It seems that some of the more rare MG"S germinate slower, but then grow like mad, then maybe it's just for me,cos I'm not that experience . MOST of the MG's I listed have not produced flowers yet, but I' on the edge of my seat!!! Thanks again for the beautiful blue one, :)arum

Original Author
    18 years ago

Tracey: Isn't Akatsuki no Umi just the most marvelous flowering vine? I really love it.

Arum: wow that's quite a list, Do you make your own trellises?

Irish Rose Grower: Yes there are many generous traders on GW, and also there are a few auctions on eBay for JMGs. Just sollicit shamelessly the people in this thread for trading or buy a few...have fun!

Joseph

• ARUM
    18 years ago

No, I have a chain link fence. :) Arum

Original Author
    18 years ago

I listed two pictures in the picture gallery, one of Blue Silk and one of Star of India. So nice to see these flowers come along!

Joseph

• skippy05
    18 years ago

Fran,
    I would love to trade some mg seeds, especially the japanese mg.
    I would love to have flying saucer, split personality, rose
    silk, chocolate silk & any ones that stay open all day long.
    I only have a tiny back yard, so I don't need a whole lot of seeds. (5 of each seed would be plenty)
    I would be happy to send you postage or I have moonflower vine seeds, Scarlet O'Hara mg seeds, datura (white flower)

Thank you!

• Bonbon_N_KS
    18 years ago

Fran, I really really want a knola black, please check my trade list, I do have red hardy hibiscus seed. LMK and we can exchange addresses. Wow, you have sooo many! Your yard must be a show-place!-Bonnie

• angel_1226
    18 years ago

Hi Joseph. Would you happen to have any more seeds for your Akatsuki No Umi, Japanese MG?? My list is not current, but maybe I have something your looking for. Thanks so much!

Jan

• ARUM
    18 years ago

Joseph, do you know the name of this beautiful blue MG with variegated leaves that Tracy has posted here? Anyone? I call it "Blue Love", or should that be "Love is Blue"? :) The seeds are light carmel brown, and a picture dosn't do it justice, it IS simply lovely! :) Arum

Original Author
    18 years ago

Arum,

If you are referring to the picture in this thread, it is Akatsuki no umi. If you are referring to another posting, show me the URL for it please? Thanks!

Joseph

• ARUM
    18 years ago

Joseph, you sent me the Akatsuki no umi and it is a dark blue that turns purple as the day wears on. I've even seen pic's of it on other sites. What's goin on? :) Arum

• sakura2006
    18 years ago

What name of Japanese seed company sell Japanese giant morning glory seeds?

• ron_convolvulaceae
    18 years ago

Sakata and Takii have the largest selection,but there are many smaller companies that carry different kinds of asagao also...

Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Sakura2006,

I see we are neighbors, I am in Delaware.

There are vendors on eBay who are selling full packets of seeds from these Japanese seed companies, but the price can be quite high for the desirable ones. I have not found a Japanese seed company that would sell directly to me, but if I understood Japanese maybe that would help in my search. Do you have relatives in Japan? If so, it would be easier for having them buy the seeds at a retail store like a garden center and then send the seeds to you.

Which cultivars were you interested in obtaining?

Joseph

• sakura2006
    18 years ago

Thank you for your quick reply Ron and Gerris2.
    When I was little girl I remember about enjoying looking at beautiful Japanese giant morning glory flowers every morning in August.
    Tall morning glory plant kept displaying colorful giant lovely flowers all summer long and that was very refreshing sight!
    Now I live in state of Pennsylvania and I ordered and less cost.

Original Author
    18 years ago

Sakura2006,

If you would like any of my seeds, I would be more than happy to send you some. Let me know by email through my Garden Web page ok?

Joseph

• sakura2006
    18 years ago

Dear Joseph,
    Thank you for your kindness!
    I sent you e-mail few minutes ago.
    Good luck with your gardening my neighbor.

• sakura2006
    18 years ago

I keep having problem of sending e-mail and very often receive undeliverable message from hot mail.com and yahoo.com.
    I wonder if I am only one who have this problem or not.
    I check spelling carefully so I have no idea why I cannot recieve messages from people.

Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Sakura,

If you are trying to send a message to me, you can directly reply to the message I sent you with the picture files that were attached. Otherwise, you can go to my GardenWeb page and send a message by filling in the subject and message boxes and then send. I will receive it that way too.

Joseph

Here is a link that might be useful: Where you can send me the message

• sakura2006
    18 years ago

Joseph, I received e-mail from you on yahoo.com but I cannot see the picture of flowers.
    Am I getting senile?
    My question is what kind of support are you giving to Japanese morning glory?
    When I was little girl, my oldest brother grew very tall Giant flowered Japanese morning glories and bamboo poles he used were least 12 feet tall.
    I love to grow tall morning glories.

Original Author
    18 years ago

Sakura2006,

You can make trellises out of bamboo, they work great. See the link below for some ideas.

Joseph

Here is a link that might be useful: Make a bamboo trellis

Original Author
    18 years ago

See below for another web site for ideas on making bamboo fences and trellises.

Here is a link that might be useful: More trellis making ideas

• sakura2006
    18 years ago

I am so disappointed to know that Sakata seed company doesn't allow us to buy seed directly from mail order department in Japan.
    This company only sell seeds to people who live in Japan.
    I was going to write a letter to my brother who lives in Japan and ask him to send Japanese Giant flowered morning glory seeds to me but maybe it is much easier for me to order on e-bay.
    What is reason for Sakata seed company to not allow international order do you think?
    Ordering on e-bay is convenient but some seeds cost least $3-$5 for only 4 seeds.
    I guess all depend how much we are willing to pay.

• ARUM
    17 years ago

So, has anyone grown any interesting MG's this year? :) Arum

• annlee0110
    17 years ago

Hello everyone. I found this forum quite by accident, and I'm glad I did. I was wondering if any of you could recommend a book or other reference for growing/cultivating morning glories. I have grown MGs for years, but would like to really get serious and educate myself on all the types available. It gets confusing with the Japanese varieties, because I'm not familiar with that language. I've searched the web, library, and several bookstores for any kind of book about JUST morning glories. Does such a book exist? If not, where should I turn for a good MG education? (Other that here, of course!) Glad to find you all!
    Ann Lee

• ron_convolvulaceae
    17 years ago

annlee0110 - There are no really good in depth books on the various MG's for the layperson...

I would recommend that you check out the PlantFiles for all of the Convolvulaceae listed

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Morning Glories entered into the PlantFiles

• ron_convolvulaceae
    17 years ago

Here is the link to a forum devoted exclusivly to all Morning Glories

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Very active forum devoted exclusively to all Morning Glories

• ron_convolvulaceae
    17 years ago

Here is the link to the photos that I have added to the PlantFiles

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Morning Glory photos added to the PlantFiles by Ron_Convolvulaceae

• annlee0110
    17 years ago

Ron, Thank you so much for the links. I'm surprised that there are no "in-depth" books on MGs. I'm sure there are some in Japan. I think this forum and the others will be such great resources as I try to educate myself on my favorite flower. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    Talk to you soon, I hope!
    ~~>Ann

Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Ann,

Try the web site below for the book you are looking for...there is not one in print that I am aware of. Enjoy!

Joseph

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese MG Online Book

• happyseed
    16 years ago

Hi, I accidentally found this posting and would love to trade for the Japanese Morning Glory. Do you trade? Please look at my list and see if there is anything that interest you. If not, I would be happy to buy them. Sonja (happyseed)

• dena_eft
    13 years ago

Joseph, hope you are well! Is this an old thread or what? Just wanted to say that the "Blue Silk" I got from you has turned purple. I think it may be the cool mornings. What do ya think? :) Arum

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Arum,

Did the Blue Silk start out making sky blue colored flowers, and then recently started making off-color flowers?

Joseph

• dena_eft
    13 years ago

Goodness. I posted here once and it didn't show. Joseph, that's exactly what it did, although I think it's the cool weather. Will it effect my seeds you think? :) Arum

• dena_eft
    13 years ago

Joseph, I didn't grow to many MG's this year, the beautiful blue oen with peanut butter colored seeds, Nil Cornel, red Star, and some others. I will grow more next year. blue Silk of course. :) arum

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Arum,

This sure is a long thread!

I had forgotten about it until you made the most recent comment.

Your Blue Silk seeds should not be affected by the cold weather. The progeny ought to come true to the parental type unless you had some bees that made crossings for you. Most of the seeds, if not all, you collect should make that beautiful sky blue color of Blue Silk.

Joseph

• pegathy_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I have a plant that I am beginning to think is a Japanese Morning Glory... I have pictures that no one else has been able to identify for me. :) I posted them in a question on another website which I am linking below. From the sounds of this thread it might be a wonderful plant if i can get it bushing out and growing again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Peggy's plant photos

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

Peggy,
    That looks like an Asarina to me, probably Asarina wislizensis.
    Alana