Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Morning Glory

Posted by Gerris2 z6/7 Delaware (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 21, 04 at 12:54

Why is it that the Japanese have the market cornered on those beautiful and breathtaking variegated leaf flowering vines? Is it a concerted effort by breeding groups in that country to develop that trait? Please don't laugh...just curious.

Joseph

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Morning Glory

Yes, it is. The Japanese have morning glory shows rather like we have dog shows. I ran across a site showing some of the winners and it took my breath away. They had been pot-grown and pruned heavily, and that show's winner for 'biggest flower' was 9.5 inches across!!!

o

Wow, Judith! We need lessons! What was the web site??

o

Judith, I would love to see a pic. of that 9.5 inch MG! :) Arum

o

http://www.yonemura.co.jp/zukan/zukan-f/zoku/ipomoea2.htm
http://www.rekihaku.ac.jp/e_news/index54.html
http://www.rekihaku.ac.jp/e_news/index60/
http://homepage3.nifty.com/plantsandjapan/page031.html lots of mutants and descriptions

http://www.mmbc.jp/mmbc/Japan_Today/0007/000706hy2-1.html and click next, next next it's a slide show

Anyway, when I find the sites with the shows I will post them too.

Sheila

o

Sheila,

Wow thank you for the links!! I'm becoming so addicted to them! How can anyone truly resist their charms?

Joseph

o

Type "Asagao" on Google images and you will see lots of great pics.

o

Hello Joseph,
I knew there was another really great link for pictures.

I get first dibs on "Botan"!!!! And "Sisibotan", and "Yanagi" are really incredible.

Check them out!

Sheila

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a few I really would like!

o

Click on this link, then at the bottom click on each year.
AMAZING!
http://homepage1.nifty.com/sukusuku/photo/asagao/1999/asagao.htm

BUT CHECK THIS ONE OUT:
http://chess.cs.uec.ac.jp/~noshita/garden_plant.html
Go to the bottom of the page where is says asagao
and start clicking on each number.
The first one is absolutely unbelievable.
http://chess.cs.uec.ac.jp/~noshita/asagao/asagao01.jpg
Can you even believe the irridescence in this Pink.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, JOSEPH!
Emma

o

sheila, great link, Emma, for some reason, the ones you posted won't come through for me. :) Arum

o

Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness!!!! :)

o

Simply awesome! How can we get some of those seeds???

Sheila, maybe we ought to make a co-op purchase from the German retailer? Anyone else game?

Joseph

o

Well Joseph, I've got tons of seeds I will never even grow, and a girl named Sandy sent me some really beautiful MG seeds,( well actually I guess the MG's wil be beautiful), and I've got to grow those. My garden is so confusing, and I'm trying to cut back and get more organized, I know, that's very boring,- but necessary! :) arum

o

Arum,

You're right, I ought to be more restrained. Just another gardener hooked on yet another plant group LOL.

Joseph

o

Joseph, yeah, but the challenge is, that if you don't grow it, you may never see it with out looking at it in a picture, and if you're not careful, you end up growing every one you can get your hands on! You shoud have seen my garden year before last, when I traded for evey seed you can think of on the GW! The gal that sent me the "Noah" MG didn't tell me how avasive it was, but you know, I loved it anyway! When she said she had a RED MG, I was sold. Little did I know it was soooooo small, and when it comes up all by it'self in the spring, I have't to force myself to pull it out. Still it is charming don't you think, and the hummers don't seem to notice the size. It's just amazing how many seeds that little bugger can produce! Good thing I don't have a lot of land and a little more energy, my husband would think he was single again, cos he would never see me. :) Arum

o

It is hard to wean yourself from seed trading. I try by just focusing on a particular group or genus.

I want to plant every one of the morning glories I have traded this year, but have that little problem of hybridization yielding seeds I can't trade. I ought to not worry about collecting seeds with the ones I have a few extra seeds and just enjoy the sheer beauty of the flowers.

Joseph

o

I'm in awe of how quickly the two JMG seeds I started are coming to life! Arum, I am starting one you gave me (Cornell) and also one called "Hatsu Arashi". They both imbibed so much water and started growth while in the 24 hour warm water soaking phase. I need to get them in soil tonight. Oh boy something to watch grow during the cold winter months!

I have Mount Fuji going too, a pink and also a fuchsia type.

o

Joseph, Looking forward to some pictures of those if it's possible. Here's to also wishing they grow like crazy for you! :) Arum

o

Hey Joseph,
That site will start shipping again in Spring. I've already got an email in to see if he will ship to the US. If you're willing to co-op, so am I.

Sheila

o

You will love the gorgeous blue of the Hatsu Arashi. I took this photo of one blossom at 7pm and it was as fresh and bright as that morning when it unfurled.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

o

Sheila,

Yes, let's pursue that by all means!

Zoomersmom,

Wow the blue on that flower is out of this world! Breathtaking!

Joseph

o

Now if I could only get a set of dishs that shade...:)

o

Last year I grew two types of MG - a HOT pink and an ELECTRIC blue. They COVERED the back of my house. I'm assuming that the seeds I collected will be "mixes" with some still showing "true" (the mixing doesn't bother me). So far, trading and on ebay, I've collected about twenty different "varieties" - I'm going to "wrap" every tree in my yard with goat wire, and plant them (willy nilly) in a ring around each trunk. I am VERY interested in getting as many different colors/sizes of MG as possible - if anyone would like to help me locate yellows/oranges/greens/stripes/solids/plaids I would appreciate it!

o

I say go for it! :) Arum

o

Wow! I had no idea MG's could be pruned that severely! I'm going for it this year. I got a deal on a couple of trellises, one with a sun, the other a moon. They are probably less than 3'. I've been wondering what I might use to grow on them! Anyone have any MG pruning tips?

o

Read this web site entirely but for culture of pruned JMGs go to this link and go forward for details.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning methods for JMGs

o

Joseph that,s a great site! :) Arum

o

Don't forget, there are lots of MG's for sale on ebay. You can get yellow ones on there now too.
Susan

o

Not sure this will show up but it shows the method in a drawing.

Here is a link that might be useful: drawing

o

Wow Birgit, I am so delighted to have this drawing and guidance! I have several plants started already that I can torture uh prune now! LOL

o
Pruning information source?

Birgit, I meant to ask from where did you obtain this cool drawing?

o

Hi Joseph! I emailed you the link as they wouldn't let me link it here.

o

Has anyone made contact before with the Asagao clubs in Japan for acquisition of their seeds? I know it is a big barrier in communication with them by not knowing Japanese...anyone rudimentarily fluent in the language?

o

I made a small cylindrical trellis as is depicted in some of the pictures posted on the Japanese web sites referenced in above messages...should be fun playing with their pruning techniques.

o

Joseph, that sounds like fun, and it will be so beautiful with the MG"S on it. Hope it does great for you! :) Arum

o

Arum,

Thank you...looking at the pictures suggests there is a commercial vendor in-country to provide the trellises, so the demand must be high for them. Might be a cottage industry waiting to happen in the USA.

Joseph

o

I can't find the site but it showed schoolchildren in Japan growing the seeds in the square pots with trellises. Then it showed how proud they were of their beautiful morning glories. Wish I could find it to share.

o
RE: pics

I found one of the sites,scroll down towards the bottom of the page.

Here is a link that might be useful: mgs at school

o

Birgit, that was a great web site...they start educating their children about traditional horticulture early don't they? I heard they even explain to the kids about manipulating the photoperiod to induce earlier flowering in the plants. Nice science topic there.

Joseph

o

Could someone tell me how exactly they are MUTATING morning glories... Has anyone here had that happen to them? If you have any info, contact me!

THanks,
Dc

o

DC,

Are you saying that plant breeders are purposely mutating within species plants, or are they producing new types by cross-pollinating different cultivars within species like Ipomoea nil crosses?

Joseph

o

I just want to know how exactly they are coming up with weird things that look almost like vibrantly colored spiders etc. and 9.5" across flowers. The largest flower I have ever seen on one of my MGs is 4"

Thanks,
Dc

o
more URLs

This is what I am talking about

http://www005.upp.so-net.ne.jp/asagao/tenjikai/16-henka.html
http://www.geocities.co.jp/NatureLand-Sky/1595/asagao/henka-asgo-gyoran03.html
http://www.geocities.co.jp/NatureLand-Sky/1595/asagao/henka_asgo_kaika/henka-H12-1.html

and more

o

Good question, wish I knew how to read Japanese! Those sure were fantastic links! Got any more???

o

hmmmm... lemme look

http://www.rekihaku.ac.jp/e-rekihaku/113/ many drawings, no pictures
http://www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~ARIA-88/ just keep clicking the links at the bottom
http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/Introduction/htmls/27.html just keep clicking the forward arrow

more soon,
Dc

o

You have so many links I've not seen elsewhere, thank you so much DC! Are you fluent in Japanese or understand the language?

Joseph

o

Your very welcome!

I am (I wish I was!) not fluent in Japanese (I have family that is).

THanks,
Dc

P.S. more links soon

o
off topic

This really isnt on the JMG topic but I thought it was SO COOL (youll need quicktime to view it)

http://sunflower.bio.indiana.edu/~rhangart/plantmotion/flowers/morningglory/morningglory.html

now...
some common MG pics

http://www.exoticplants.org.uk/morning_glory_introduction.html

o

DC,

That was a really groovy timelapse movie of the JMG opeing up. Wow! Thanks for all these links! Talk about timesink city visiting all these fabulous web sites! I love it.

Joseph

o

DC, thanks for the great show! :) Arum

o

You're very welcome!

most of these links I got from googling "henka asagao"

Glad to help,
Dc

o

Arum,

My Cornell mg vine has a flower bud! Only 4 true leaves on it too! Wow! I hope it doesn't fall off before flowering!!

Joseph

o

Joseph,The first word that came to my mind was NOW? You MUST have a greenhouse! :) arum

o

Cool Joseph! This one looks so neat from photos I've seen and I actually get to grow it this year.

o

I have buds now on Lavender Mist and Yojiro Pink! I really hope they don't fall off, what a joy it will be to see the flowers before spring arrives!

o

Any blooms yet Joseph?

o

So far the following have flower buds, and I am so excited:

-Lavender Mist
-Yojiro Pink
-Mount Fuji Fuchsia
-Cornell
-maybe Mount Fuji Pink

I love this hobby.

Joseph

o

Joseph,that is really exciting! I can't wait to get mine in the ground. Maybe I'll grow the Mini Bar Rose this year, I really like that one. :) arum

o

Arum,

I bet mini bar rose is a nice one too...is that the dwarf mg you can plant in a hanging container?

Joseph

o

Hey Joseph,
Can't wait to see your Lavender Mist Blooms.
Gosh, I hope they stay TRUE.
If they do, it will be year #3 for this beauty.

I have some Mini Bar Rose seeds if you'd like a few.
Aka: Cameo Elegance Ipomoea nil.

AWESOME Ivy-Shaped Green and White foliage.
A short climber 4'-6'.

LMK
Emma

o

Emma,

I believe I have this the Cameo Elegance, and undoubtedly got it from you! You will be the first to hear about the flower if the bud doesn't drop off due to my negligence.

Joseph

o

just popping back in her to say HI and wonder if anyone can find any info on asagao-ichi (morning glory fairs) and where they are *puts away an account to go to Japan LOL*

THanks,
Dc

PS, Joseph, I have not just given up on the JMG trade, I am waiting for the new seeds *camps out by his mailbox*

o

Darn! My flower bud fell off my Cornell mg. There will be more where that one came from I'm sure.

o

Joseph, even with all your plant know how, there's no substitute for the good ole summer time. Yeah, I'm sure you'll see a lot of blooms come summer. :) Arum

o

Yup, Arum, bring summer on fast!

o

SUMMER... ahh I remember summer LOL seems like so long ago! BUT ITS COMING AGIN!! I am greatly looking forward to growing all my seeds! particularly some new JMGs

=Dc

o

my first contribution to this forum:

Have you all seen the Asagao-ichi (Morning glory market) VIDEO??

http://japan-geographic.tv/tokyo/taito/iriya-kisibojin.html

One homepage found by googling with asagao-ichi tells beside lots of aother photos and infos that they sell 2 Mio Plants in 3 days..

It seems that this morning glory sale expo is from 6th - 8th july this year.

As I am going to see the EXPO in Japan anyway I will change my flight dates to be there :-B

Here is a link that might be useful: Morning glory market video

o

Bring back lots of seeds when you return, so you can trade with us! Great link!

o

Yes, thanks for the great video, I finally figured out how it works! :) Arum

o

Terraristikcom Please bring some back to trade!

Can't wait until you post about your trip!

OOOH, green with envy...LOL

o

Do Japanese Morning Glory seeds need to be stratified before planting, or is soaking in warm water enough?

o

How big a pot per morning glory vine? Will I get blooms with one vine per one gallon pot?

o

Well, I don't soak, but maybe I should. One vine per gallon pot should be fine. Lots of sun! :) Arum

o

I germinate them in wet paper towels... speeds germination WAY up (for me)

Dc

o

This is my first post on this forum. I have recently recieved JMG seeds and was searching for what to do to plant them. I have enjoyed this thread and some of the links.
I went ahead and placed each of seven different kinds on paper towels, labeling the packages. Then put warm water over them and put them into plastic bags and on my water heater. I plan to pot up each type in separate containers.
I hope they will grow for me. I have never even seen one before!
Are there any suggestions that I should know for container growing the morning glories ?
Wish me luck, please! Thank-you! Margie

o

Hi Margie,

Have fun with them! You ought to have shoots coming out of the seeds by now. If not, then you will have them soon. You'll do ok. I would segregate morning glory cultivars to one type per container. That way you won't mix the seeds and have a pure set of seeds for trading and growing next year.

Check out Dr. Yoneda's web site on growing morning glories. It's a great resource. The reference is below.

Joseph

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Yoneda's JMG web page

o

Joseph, whatcha got growin? :) arum

o

My Blue Silk JMGs are doing well, and hope to get a pile of flowers soon. I need to sneak the pruned JMGs out of my sunroom out into the great outdoors soon, they'll do better outside. What do you have coming along, Arum?

Joseph

o

Joseph, you had sent me some "Akatsuki No Umi" and I saw the first bloom this morning! I'm soooooooooo excited! Thanks again!!
Tracey

o

Joseph, these are a few of the MG's, and a couple of other vines I am growing.
Pink Star
Chocolate
Midnight Velvet
Purple Velvet
Split Personality,
Plum Frost
Nil Cornel,
Platycondon,
Mt Fuji Mix,
Strawberry Swirl,
Heian no umi,
Bold Ms. Piggy,
Heavenly Blue,
Pink Heirloom,
Heirloom Violet,
Mini Hirsuta,
Mina Lobata,
Lavender Moonvine,
Pink Moonvine,
Cypress Red Pinwheel
Cypress, MIx,(red white pink)
Scarlet O'Harah, Tye Dye pink
Tye Dye Blue
Double Blue Picotee
Double Pink Picotee
Blue Silk,
Rose Silk
Henka Asago
Charamachu
Sibori Blue Blizzard
Early Call
Blue Star
Shiva
Mini Bar Rose
and many JMG"s that I don't know the name of. :) Arum

o

Can anyone tell me where I can buy these plants or seeds? Thank you.

Maureen

o

Maureen, these MG's came from people on the GW. Year before last I did a huge "VINE" trade and received all kinds of MG's, and I've also done other trades, (lots) and other folks, (some very kind ones, you know who you are, :) ) sent me different types of Japanese MG"s. I always try to have something special that folks would like in exchange, and have been collecting them since I joined the GW. I'ts gotten to where they are about the most exciting thing to grow. " A gift every morning"! Start doin some trading and some posting and you'll find that you will collect many. :) arum

o

Joseph, the "Akatsuki No Umi" you sent me has germinated, (actually a few days ago), I thought I was going to miss out, but it is really taking off! ( Lot's of smiles from me)! It seems that some of the more rare MG"S germinate slower, but then grow like mad, then maybe it's just for me,cos I'm not that experience . MOST of the MG's I listed have not produced flowers yet, but I' on the edge of my seat!!! Thanks again for the beautiful blue one, :)arum

o

Tracey: Isn't Akatsuki no Umi just the most marvelous flowering vine? I really love it.

Arum: wow that's quite a list, Do you make your own trellises?

Irish Rose Grower: Yes there are many generous traders on GW, and also there are a few auctions on eBay for JMGs. Just sollicit shamelessly the people in this thread for trading or buy a few...have fun!

Joseph

o

No, I have a chain link fence. :) Arum

o

I listed two pictures in the picture gallery, one of Blue Silk and one of Star of India. So nice to see these flowers come along!

Joseph

o

I Had to join in to say thank you for the info you've provided on japanese morning glories and to say that I would love to trade with some of you. I had some very generous traders last year and WS a lot of MG, japanese included. Some have yet to bloom but are now full of buds.
Have any of you noticed that since the weather has cooled down they are growing and blooming far more than a month ago? Mine have just taken off in the last 2 weeks.
anyway have seeds from the following so far
president tyler, which some people say is the same as star of yelta. I have found that the markings are not as distinct as star of yelta and the flower is smaller and does not open as fully as star of yelta

star of yelta
knola black
emma's gift
star of yelta
president tyler
rose red star

The others full of buds, blooming and or full of pods and labeled as follows from traders
early call blue
pale purple star
plum tye dye cross
scarlet star
rose silk
split personality
heian no haru
hatsu arashi just beautiful
henka asago blue cloud
spring of dawn
blizzard
flying saucer
chocolate silk just beautiful
halo mix
carmen
pink with white star
pearly gates
pink with white stripes
pink tye dye
asagio hatsu
also one that was labeled it came from the imperial palace and bloomed a "huge dark purple flower" It bloomed a very pretty small bluish purple flower with a yellow center.

will post on exchange page when I have the seeds ready for trade and on seed exchange as well.
Please let me know if we can trade.

Fran

o

Fran,
I would love to trade some mg seeds, especially the japanese mg.
I would love to have flying saucer, split personality, rose
silk, chocolate silk & any ones that stay open all day long.
I only have a tiny back yard, so I don't need a whole lot of seeds. (5 of each seed would be plenty)
I would be happy to send you postage or I have moonflower vine seeds, Scarlet O'Hara mg seeds, datura (white flower)

Thank you!

o

Fran, I really really want a knola black, please check my trade list, I do have red hardy hibiscus seed. LMK and we can exchange addresses. Wow, you have sooo many! Your yard must be a show-place!-Bonnie

o

Hi Joseph. Would you happen to have any more seeds for your Akatsuki No Umi, Japanese MG?? My list is not current, but maybe I have something your looking for. Thanks so much!

Jan

o

Joseph, do you know the name of this beautiful blue MG with variegated leaves that Tracy has posted here? Anyone? I call it "Blue Love", or should that be "Love is Blue"? :) The seeds are light carmel brown, and a picture dosn't do it justice, it IS simply lovely! :) Arum

o

Arum,

If you are referring to the picture in this thread, it is Akatsuki no umi. If you are referring to another posting, show me the URL for it please? Thanks!

Joseph

o

Joseph, you sent me the Akatsuki no umi and it is a dark blue that turns purple as the day wears on. I've even seen pic's of it on other sites. What's goin on? :) Arum

o

What name of Japanese seed company sell Japanese giant morning glory seeds?

o

Sakata and Takii have the largest selection,but there are many smaller companies that carry different kinds of asagao also...

o

Hi Sakura2006,

I see we are neighbors, I am in Delaware.

There are vendors on eBay who are selling full packets of seeds from these Japanese seed companies, but the price can be quite high for the desirable ones. I have not found a Japanese seed company that would sell directly to me, but if I understood Japanese maybe that would help in my search. Do you have relatives in Japan? If so, it would be easier for having them buy the seeds at a retail store like a garden center and then send the seeds to you.

Which cultivars were you interested in obtaining?

Joseph

o

Thank you for your quick reply Ron and Gerris2.
When I was little girl I remember about enjoying looking at beautiful Japanese giant morning glory flowers every morning in August.
Tall morning glory plant kept displaying colorful giant lovely flowers all summer long and that was very refreshing sight!
Now I live in state of Pennsylvania and I ordered and less cost.

o

Sakura2006,

If you would like any of my seeds, I would be more than happy to send you some. Let me know by email through my Garden Web page ok?

Joseph

o

Dear Joseph,
Thank you for your kindness!
I sent you e-mail few minutes ago.
Good luck with your gardening my neighbor.

o

I keep having problem of sending e-mail and very often receive undeliverable message from hot mail.com and yahoo.com.
I wonder if I am only one who have this problem or not.
I check spelling carefully so I have no idea why I cannot recieve messages from people.

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 21, 06 at 13:04

Hi Sakura,

If you are trying to send a message to me, you can directly reply to the message I sent you with the picture files that were attached. Otherwise, you can go to my GardenWeb page and send a message by filling in the subject and message boxes and then send. I will receive it that way too.

Joseph

Here is a link that might be useful: Where you can send me the message

o

Joseph, I received e-mail from you on yahoo.com but I cannot see the picture of flowers.
Am I getting senile?
My question is what kind of support are you giving to Japanese morning glory?
When I was little girl, my oldest brother grew very tall Giant flowered Japanese morning glories and bamboo poles he used were least 12 feet tall.
I love to grow tall morning glories.

o

Sun, Jan 22, 06 at 21:36

Sakura2006,

You can make trellises out of bamboo, they work great. See the link below for some ideas.

Joseph

Here is a link that might be useful: Make a bamboo trellis

o
Another bamboo trellis web site

Sun, Jan 22, 06 at 21:42

See below for another web site for ideas on making bamboo fences and trellises.

Here is a link that might be useful: More trellis making ideas

o

I am so disappointed to know that Sakata seed company doesn't allow us to buy seed directly from mail order department in Japan.
This company only sell seeds to people who live in Japan.
I was going to write a letter to my brother who lives in Japan and ask him to send Japanese Giant flowered morning glory seeds to me but maybe it is much easier for me to order on e-bay.
What is reason for Sakata seed company to not allow international order do you think?
Ordering on e-bay is convenient but some seeds cost least $3-$5 for only 4 seeds.
I guess all depend how much we are willing to pay.

o

So, has anyone grown any interesting MG's this year? :) Arum

o

Hello everyone. I found this forum quite by accident, and I'm glad I did. I was wondering if any of you could recommend a book or other reference for growing/cultivating morning glories. I have grown MGs for years, but would like to really get serious and educate myself on all the types available. It gets confusing with the Japanese varieties, because I'm not familiar with that language. I've searched the web, library, and several bookstores for any kind of book about JUST morning glories. Does such a book exist? If not, where should I turn for a good MG education? (Other that here, of course!) Glad to find you all!
Ann Lee

o
RE: Japanese Morning Glories in the PlantFiles

annlee0110 - There are no really good in depth books on the various MG's for the layperson...

I would recommend that you check out the PlantFiles for all of the Convolvulaceae listed

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Morning Glories entered into the PlantFiles

o
RE: Very active forum devoted exclusively to all Morning Glories

Here is the link to a forum devoted exclusivly to all Morning Glories

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Very active forum devoted exclusively to all Morning Glories

o
Images added to the PlantFiles by Ron_Convolvulaceae

Here is the link to the photos that I have added to the PlantFiles

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Morning Glory photos added to the PlantFiles by Ron_Convolvulaceae

o

Ron, Thank you so much for the links. I'm surprised that there are no "in-depth" books on MGs. I'm sure there are some in Japan. I think this forum and the others will be such great resources as I try to educate myself on my favorite flower. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Talk to you soon, I hope!
~~>Ann

o

Fri, Oct 27, 06 at 6:46

Hi Ann,

Try the web site below for the book you are looking for...there is not one in print that I am aware of. Enjoy!

Joseph

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese MG Online Book

o

Hi, I accidentally found this posting and would love to trade for the Japanese Morning Glory. Do you trade? Please look at my list and see if there is anything that interest you. If not, I would be happy to buy them. Sonja (happyseed)

o

Joseph, hope you are well! Is this an old thread or what? Just wanted to say that the "Blue Silk" I got from you has turned purple. I think it may be the cool mornings. What do ya think? :) Arum

o

Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 21:07

Hi Arum,

Did the Blue Silk start out making sky blue colored flowers, and then recently started making off-color flowers?

Joseph

o

Goodness. I posted here once and it didn't show. Joseph, that's exactly what it did, although I think it's the cool weather. Will it effect my seeds you think? :) Arum

o
My Few MG's

Joseph, I didn't grow to many MG's this year, the beautiful blue oen with peanut butter colored seeds, Nil Cornel, red Star, and some others. I will grow more next year. blue Silk of course. :) arum

o

Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 7:40

Hi Arum,

This sure is a long thread!

I had forgotten about it until you made the most recent comment.

Your Blue Silk seeds should not be affected by the cold weather. The progeny ought to come true to the parental type unless you had some bees that made crossings for you. Most of the seeds, if not all, you collect should make that beautiful sky blue color of Blue Silk.

Joseph

o

I have a plant that I am beginning to think is a Japanese Morning Glory... I have pictures that no one else has been able to identify for me. :) I posted them in a question on another website which I am linking below. From the sounds of this thread it might be a wonderful plant if i can get it bushing out and growing again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Peggy's plant photos

o

Peggy,
That looks like an Asarina to me, probably Asarina wislizensis.
Alana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here