Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miriam_gardener

can someone tell me about hydrangea petiolaris?

miriam_gardener
14 years ago

I read an article about flowering vines that grow in shade and this one was recommended--also japanese hydrangea Moonlight and clematis guernsey queen. But the article didn't say how much shade they tolerate. I have a fence facing north, part of which is shaded by a crabapple tree. The part that isn't under the tree gets about 3 hrs sun (around noon). Would any of these vines grow in these conditions? Any advice would really be appreciated! Miriam p.s. I'm in the Chicago area.

Comment (1)

• kitkat_oregon
    14 years ago

Miriam, hydrangea petiolaris is a wonderful climber for shade. It 'sticks' to the wall or fence that it is growing against and therefore is not super ideal for a wire fence but if your fence is wooden its a great choice. It has clusters of lovely white flowers. The clematis that you mentioned is, I think, Guernsey Cream, and is also a great climber and will do well in a shady spot. It is a type 2 clematis which means that it blooms initially on last seasons wood so dont hard prune in the spring and do a light prune after the first bloom flush and it will bloom again later. I dont know much about your growing conditions but both the above plants like adequate moisture and good drainage. I am unfamiliar with the Japanese hydrangea so cant help there. Good luck. Kat

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals