Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glorifiedb

Vine for Shady North Side

glorifiedb
15 years ago

Hello all,

My wife and I recently moved into our first home and have started planning on what to do in the back yard. It is a small yard so we are going for a "courtyard" feel. One of the challenges is a garage that is a bit of an eyesore. I would like to cover it with a fast-growing vine, preferably one that flowers. The problem is that it would need to grow on the north face of the garage, and therefore have shade most of the day. Here is a photo with south being to the right:

Colorado is also fairly dry in the summer and we live in Zone 5. The soil in the yard is pretty good and it would be watered regularily with a soaker hose.

If any of you have any suggestions on what vine would cover the garage, that would be great.

Thank you in advance.

Bart

Comments (7)

• kayjones
    15 years ago

Sweet Autumn Clematis - fast growing, beautiful fragrant flowers, easy on the wallet, grows in shade or sun - can't beat it!

• mk11165
    15 years ago

I've been doing the same research for my CO garden. I've been seriously considering the Hops vine (yes, Hops - Humulus Lupulus - and you can have the hops for beer making!). I've read great things about it and, they don't technically flower, but they can be gorgeous. I'm planning to plant one on the side of my house, which is unsightly by the chimney and quite shady, but not full shade.

• glorifiedb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kay and MK,

Thanks for the suggestions. I was actually considering the clematis because it is very easy to grow and I've seen it do well here in Colorado. The hops would also be a good choice. I think it would be a nice change of pace from the other flowering vines that I am planning on using. I didn't realize that it would grow well in shade. I'll have to look more into it.

Thanks again!

Bart

• ralfsmom
    15 years ago

you should get the varigsted hop vines.you can't make beer out of it but takes shade and is very ornamental. i don't have any seed but fragrant path sells it.ralfsmom

• weed_tree
    15 years ago

I am also considering vines for a shaded fence and trellis. The Magnolia vine (Schizandra chinensis) is evergreen with fragrant flowers and sounds like a lovely plant, if you are willing to water it. Hardy to Zone 4, too. I haven't tried it yet, but it's high on my list--as soon as I build the trellis. Here's what Raintree Nursery (OR) says about it. "Schizandra chinensis: This lovely fruiting vine comes to us from the mountains of China and the Russian far east. It does well in moist shady places where few fruit plants thrive but it will also grow in full sun. It produces large clusters of round red fruit. The leaves have a lemon scent. The fruit is acidic and very aromatic. They are dried and used in medicinal teas. Or, sweetened, the fruits are used to make a juice or preserves that is said to be stimulating and energy restoring. Grow on a trellis, arbor or similar structure. The fragrant white flowers are self-fertile and fruits should begin to appear in about three years."

Here is a link that might be useful: Raintree Nursery catalog--vines

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Lush foliage of magnolia vine makes small hanging flowers inconspicuous.

For home gardening with interesting ornamentals in the intermountain region look for Searles, THE GARDEN OF JOY. As elsewhere a lot more can be grown than what you see commonly planted.

• askok_comcast_net
    12 years ago

My experience with hops is that it is highly vigorous.
    You'll find its roots popping up 20 feet away in your favorite flowerbed
    and above ground it will grow like kudzu suffocating anything in its path
    and this is in Colorado with low water.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!