Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Covering Chain Link Fence

Posted by ohioume 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 4, 10 at 15:13

Hi :) Looking to cover a chain link fence b/c 1. it's kind of unsightly and 2. for privacy... living in columbus, oh (so i believe 5b) - don't want bees or bugs (don't mind birds/butterflies :)) and would LOVE it to last year round! Would like it to grow reasonably quickly too... does this exist???

Thank you!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Covering Chain Link Fence

Hah.

I am in the middle of trimming the english ivy on a 50 foot long 12+ foot high chain link fence at the back of my property. It's a three or four day ordeal, and not without some danger since I have to get on a ladder to get at the upper six+ feet. Then comes the shredding. The one plus is that english ivy seems very nutrient rich and all by itself can make for a quite hot compost pile, if you keep it well watered. A big minus for me is that I'm allergic to the ivy dust so I have to wear a full face respirator to keep it out of my eyes and airway.

Do not, I repeat, do not try to cover that fence with English Ivy. You'll regret it.

The stuff here is very well entrenched and is on a shared fence. I can't even get the other landowner to trim their side of the thing (it's a condominium complex and they say it's too high to trim... Hmmm I'm no spring chicken but I manage to do it on my side!). I wouldn't mind eradicating it but it would take an act of God to get the other neighbor to cooperate. I've removed it from nearly all the interior fencing (the previous owner went nuts with the fences and ivy 30 years ago), and it's not easy to kill or dig up.

Adding to the misery - the robins love the ripe berries and then they crap them out all over the place, so I get to rip out ivy sprouts all year to keep it from taking over the entire property. They even appear in potted plants, it's that pernicious.

As for what else you could use... well... plastic doesn't need trimming ;-). Alternatively you could plant some sort of hedge before the fence. Out here pittosporum does well. Might not survive an Ohio winter, though. I suppose there's always something like privet (but it's invasive, too).

There also may be less aggressive/invasive types of ivy that would be evergreen, suggest you search for those that would work in your climate zone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here