Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eliza0214

Replacing English (and maybe Irish) Ivy with Boston?

eliza0214
15 years ago

I have English ivy growing ALL OVER my stone house. You can see photos here.

I'd much rather have Boston ivy, which I think is more attractive and less aggressive (am I totally wrong here?); I've seen large houses with Boston ivy and it just doesn't seem to climb all over itself and start growing out horizontally from the wall like it's doing on my house.

In my fantasy, I'd plant Boston ivy in the same places where the English ivy is growing, and slowly start cutting chunks away at the base of the English ivy and the Boston ivy would slowly grow up and take over. That way it would cover up the dying vines of the English. Totally impossible? Would the English ivy laugh in my face and just choke away the pathetic attempts of the Boston? What do you think?

Also, am I right in thinking that I have both English and Irish ivy? Irish, I've heard, is more deeply-lobed, smaller-leaved, and slightly less aggressive. Here are some photos. The last four photos are on the same side of the house, but as you can see, the ivy in the last photo is INSANE, while the three previous photos slightly less so.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor