Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lonicera Periclymenum AKA European Honeysuckle/Woodbine

Posted by moonwolf 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 6, 09 at 17:13

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of planting a variety of this kind of honeysuckle in my garden next year. Anyone out there grow a variety of it? The ones I'm interested in are Serotina (Early Dutch), Belgica (Late Dutch), Berries Jubilee, Graham Thomas and Sweet Sue.

It will get eastern sun (half-day) and will be growing in a pot on the back steps. Annual vines (in the ground) will be growing alongside it (MGs, MFs and cup and saucer vines).

Let me know what you think!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lonicera Periclymenum AKA European Honeysuckle/Woodbine

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 7, 09 at 18:10

The most strongly colored one is 'Serotina', it pretty much blows the others away with its visual impact. 'Graham Thomas' has the advantage of repeat bloom, the late flowering is what caused it to be noticed and propagated.

o

Bboy, thanks for the info! I'm thinking of leaning toward Graham Thomas. Does it have a strong scent? Are there any mail-order nurseries that carry it?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Brad,
I have the Serotina "Florida" dutch honeysuckle.
It doesn't grow real fast. I'm sure this year it may start to grow more for me. The flowers are stunning, purple stems, red berries in fall, and it is fragrant also. Beautiful vine.
Check out Brushwood nursery online. That is where I have bought my vines and have never been disappointed.

o

Hi Butterfly,

I have heard nothing but good about Brushwood. I'm thinking of ordering from them in the spring. I may get the Serotina Florida, since it has good reviews.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here