Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerris2

Indoors Grown Morning Glories

Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!

Comments (70)

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Eloise! I really love it, too!

Here are views of another wonderful morning glory demono flower form. (Ki Beni Hukurin Shishi Botan Ryu'uhade -Shishi(fe) x Sasa(dl) x botan(dp) - Shishi strain).

Can you believe this is a morning glory? It is a mutant Ipomoea nil.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a closer view of the mutant flower.

• dena_eft
    9 years ago

It looks like it's from a distant galaxy. :) Very unusual.,and pretty. I have a purple MG that has that shredded look. Don't know where I got it. :)

• eloise_ca
    9 years ago

Wow, that last mg sure is something special, and its name is a mouthful!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Dena and Eloise!

Dena, I like your description. Your shredded purple was probably an Ipomoea purpurea hige strain.

Eloise, I agree about the name. Each Japanese word describes a leaf and flower character.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a view of another couple flowers on the plant this morning.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a first flower of a plant I have pruned to make a short, compact size. The strain name is 'Music of Mountain Stream'.

I like the blizzard color pattern.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Another blue opened this morning. Small but it opens perfectly each time.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Another blue opened this morning. Small but it opens perfectly each time.

{{gwi:2132217}}

Original Author
    9 years ago

This one opened today. I like the dark ring and colors.

• eloise_ca
    9 years ago

Very nice that last one; and the one before looks like it has a light bulb inside -- beautiful!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, eloise_ca!

This is the coldest weekend of the winter so far, ugh! And no flowers to distract me at present time!

• val (MA z6)
    9 years ago

How gorgeous! Do you grow them in large window or under lights or ??

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Vala, yes to both questions. They grow nicely and make flowers all winter long. Here are some recent flowers.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Vala, yes to both questions. They grow nicely and make flowers all winter long. Here are some recent flowers.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Fresh color on a freezing morning.

Original Author
    9 years ago

• eloise_ca
    9 years ago

gerris2, they are all so beautiful! I am just so impressed that you grow them year around, which I haven't tried but just might!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Eloise_ca!

Here is one from today. :-)

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow! Incredible blooms everyone! I'm so inspired to try MG indoors myself now!
    Perhaps this has already been covered somewhere but I couldn't find the answer...will MG grown inside produce seeds on their own or do they have to be hand-pollinated?

Also, how deep of a pot do I need for just one or two seeds?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much, orionsrose.

With the mutant strains of Ipomoea nil I have been able to use small pots, maybe quart size. The size of the pot used depends on what species you are growing. Some species do not lend themselves well to being grown indoors, such as Ipomoea purpurea. The plant just gets too large. I suppose a purpurea could be grown indoors with judicious pruning, while watching for flower bud production.

I use only one seed per pot. Even when I grow outdoors, I only plant one seed per pot. If you get something rare and precious looking, it is easier to collect seeds if it grown isolated in its own pot.

MGs are self-fertile, usually, and you will see seed production on indoors grown plants.

Original Author
    9 years ago

A flower from yesterday. I like the color in combination with the yellow leaves.

• User
    9 years ago

Thank you very much gerris2 for your helpful info!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, orionsrose. What MGs will you be growing this summer?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thankfully the vines keep blooming.

Original Author
    9 years ago

• Kadie
    9 years ago

Wow! Kind of nostalgic for me because the first flowers that I had ever planted from seed were MGs in Oahu. Each morning when I awoke, I would peek out the window to feast my eyes on them.

Your blooms are so beautiful! I had no idea MG's were so varied. Please direct me to a website where I could order seeds.

Thank you.

-Kadie (aka -bong)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Send me an email and I can help you out. Thanks for your kind words, Kadie.

• Kadie
    9 years ago

Thank you, gerris2.

I am waiting for response from Houzz support to tell me how to send an email to a member.

• User
    8 years ago

Love the interesting variegated leaves gerris2!

This summer I'm trying to avoid cross-pollination (so I can seed collect) and growing Heavenly Blues, Milky Ways, and some unnamed purple/blue watercolor-like Japanese morning glories from seeds I bought on eBay last year. I'm a little bummed out that I can't grow more variety but I'd rather have true seeds for now.
    Not sure what I'll grow inside, probably seeds I need to identify as my ID project is going to take years as it is. I don't have too much room so it'll probably be just a few.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Kadie, I believe in order to exchange email, you need to enable messaging. Go to edit your profile, then advanced settings, then towards the bottom of that page you click on a drop-down menu and choose I think the middle choice, which enables messaging with people you follow in Houzz. Then to message me, you must click on my user name and on the little pop-up window click follow. I have done that with you already. Once all this is done, presumably a click button will appear on our profile pages to send a message.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Here are some recent photos - *LOVE*

• User
    8 years ago

Oh wow, I love the purple!!! What is the name of that one?
    Joseph/gerris2 - The name change caught me off guard! LOL

• Kadie
    8 years ago

The frilly white strikes my fancy.

Joseph, I have messaged you.

Original Author
    8 years ago

More views of the MG flowers from today.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Ipomoea purpurea white hige flower looks like a fantastic frozen flaming torch, a concept only seen in Asagao gardening and Marvel Comics.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Another Fuji no Monet flower set from today.

• User
    8 years ago

Thanks for the name of the lovely purple one!
    BTW, what is the name of the flower that you use for your avatar/ID picture? It looks incredibly similar to the "unknown name" one I bought seeds for on eBay and am attempting to grow this year. I would so love to know the actual name.

Original Author
    8 years ago

The avatar photo has no name, unfortunately. Purple blue blizzard with yellow leaves is what it is, purely descriptive, a bit like the Japanese name their strains of Ipomoea nil.

• User
    8 years ago

Yeah, that was all I knew about it too - I was so hoping it had a known proper name but oh well. Thank you anyway.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Original Author
    8 years ago

I guess I will close this thread. Thanks to all who added comments. I look forward to seeing your MG flowers here in this forum!

• jeci1974
    8 years ago

i know this is from may this year,but was wondering if Joseph(Gerris2)grew any more exotic morning glories this year?love them,would love to set up a trade.

• dena_eft
    8 years ago

what a great time to review these beauties snowmageddon here in MD!!!

Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a) thanked dena_eft
  • Polly Israel
    6 years ago

Do you soak your indoor morning glory seeds before planting them? I'm very new so I might need a few tips from you all if that's ok

Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a) thanked Polly Israel
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What MGs do you have, and we can proceed from there?

• dena_eft
    6 years ago

All this eye candy makes me want to dive into my seeds and think about which ones I will grow this year!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    6 years ago

Me too, I'm ready to start planting some!

Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Reseeding can be an issue for gardeners who are not diligent in collecting seeds from the vines. Ipomoea nil (such as Kikyo Ice and Blue Silk) are not big reseeders but you will get volunteer seedlings if you do not collect the ripe seeds or do not clip the green seed pods off. Ipomoea tricolor (such as Heavenly Blue) will not be a problem but Ipomoea purpurea (such as Grandpa Ott's) will make many seeds. Controlling reseeding is a grower's task.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus