Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Trellis Questions

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about ordering this bean tower from Gurney's and I'm planning on using this to grow morning glories and moonflower vines on it next year. It's made out of galvanized steel and the reviews on Gurney's website are all five stars! So should I go for it? Do you think it would work for what I intend it for?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Here is a link that might be useful: Bean Tower

Comments (8)

• bogturtle
    12 years ago

It should work fine. I am always incined to be a compromiser, and do something cheaper. This includes what looks like uncovered teepees of sapling,twigless, I cut in the woods, or bamboo stakes bunched at the tops with twist-ems. Not so nice looking. Look fine when completely covered with leaves or flowers.

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

Hey, Brad, fancy seeing you here! I'm with bogturtle. Too expensive for my budget. There are garden centers where you can get the 6 or 7' bamboo or metal stakes that you can fashion into your own teepee, or go to the Frugal Gardening forum and see what ideas those folks have come up with. Check out Freecycle and Craig's List, too.

My plan is to purchase 10' conduit lengths ($2-3 for each), 90 degree elbow joints ($3 each), and 1/2" rebar 3' lengths. You hammer the rebar into the ground and the conduit pipes slip right inside of these to stabilize the trellis. You can then use trellis netting or hang lengths of twine or wire from the top for your vines to climb up. This type of trellis will last FOREVER. All of these materials can be purchased at HD or Lowe's.

Just some suggestions.

Susan

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks bogturtle and Susan (good to see you here too)!

Those ideas sound great! I wanted something metal since where it'll be located is rocky. Everyone that wrote a review over on Gurney's said the bean tower is very stable, but these ideas are changing my mind :). My original idea was similar to yours, Susan. Just get metal poles or stakes and string fishing wire on them to let them climb/ramble on. Frugal Gardening forum....never knew there was one! Gonna have to check it out!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Brad that's kind of small for multiple MG's. They'll over grow that in a short time. I like Susan's idea. I used the frame from an old hoop house which was 10' high and 8' long for MG's and that was completely overgrown by mid summer.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Karyn, wow! That just goes to show how quick MG's can grow. I'm still trying to figure out the trellis. I like Susan's idea too. My original idea was like Susan's. I was just going to stick a couple of metal stakes into the ground and string fishing wire or twine between them. The ground is rocky here, especially where I want to grow them. That's why I wanted something metal.

Keep those ideas coming everyone!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• jolj
    12 years ago

Out here in the woods we use the cane teepee.
    Some of us use a old bike rim on some pipe, a little epoxy & wire to hold the rim on the pipe & bolt though the pipe to tight the wire to.
    Sink the pipe 24-36 inches into the soil.
    If you are into wood, then a 2x2 frame with rabbit wire works well also. Mount on one or more 2x4 legs.

Here is a link that might be useful: trellis

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi jolj,

Thank you for the link! I love that idea!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Brad,
    Just saw another neat idea for a trellis on Dave's Garden, under the vine and climber's forum. It seems like it would fit your purpose and the person submitting the idea has pictures posted so you can see it. You don't have to be a subsciber to read people's post but if you want to post a reply or post a message, you have to pay the $19.95 a year membership fee. You will see a lot of the same people who post on GW over at DG..and it's always nice to see ole friends!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!