Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_mck

The new Terms

jim_mck
18 years ago

I share Stefan's concerns about the new Terms. I'm starting a new thread in the hope that others will comment. In particular, the terms regarding trades/exchanges of seed are problematic.

More bothersome to me is the apparent surrender of copyright. As I read the terms (and I'm not a lawyer) users of the forum will in effect surrender their copyright to GardenWeb; GardenWeb will claim the right to use their material with or without attribution (not to mention compensation).

Have I misunderstood the terms? Here's the passage I have in mind:

l. Forums, Exchanges and Other Interactive Features: Because iVillage reserves the right to use content created or provided by you in connection with our Forums, Exchanges, and other interactive features, to the extent that you include personally identifiable information in such content, iVillage may republish such personally identifiable information, as part of the content, in connection with the GardenWeb Network and promotion thereof. If we republish your content, we may (but are not obligated to) provide authorship credit by listing your member name as well.

There are other things, too, but these are the ones which really caught my attention.

Jim McKenney

Comments (6)

• etii
    18 years ago

Well...
    Copyrigts on the web, 21th century joke ! And what about copyrights on things said in a forum ?? Really don't understand. I don't mind about the photos I post (when it's possible to): mines are not good enought to be interesting anyway and just don't care, definitively.
    And if all those terms were just a way to protect them ?
    Let's wait N see what is going to change. But it would really be a pity to see so interesting person like Stefan going away (we need you Stefan !!). I love that forum: nice people, not too many informations (lol) a little sweet place and a good way to practice my poor English ;-)

Take care :-)
    Thierry.

• Mike Hardman
    18 years ago

Thanks Jim.

Personally...

I'm not too worried about iVillage using the contents of my postings; I know lots of stuff I write on the Web (especially on stockmarket trading) is up for grabs by whomever wants to copy it. I don't see iVillage robbing me of any income through their activities in this direction, nor is it likely they'd slander my name, obviously. I think they's just giving themselves the option of using snippets for promotional purposes, but without having to contact anyone/everyone individually.

They are not claiming copyright, and certainly not exclusive rights, so anything (of our own creation) that we post here can still be used by us elsewhere. (It does seem close to claiming copyright, I know.)

Just my views,
    Mike

• jim_mck
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for those comments, Mike.

I'm not so much concerned about loss of copyright as I am about someone else using my material for profit.

My concerns are not only about prospective income (which would be nice) but also about proper attribution (which is only fair).

And what do you make of the terms with respect to trading seeds and plants?

Jim McKenney

• Mike Hardman
    18 years ago

ah yes - the 'trading seeds and plants' bit

have to keep it to giving, I guess (which would just about allow the recipient to give something back, I suppose)

Mike

• stefanb8
    18 years ago

I will not go away yet, not at least until there is a viable alternative to Gardenweb for violet lovers. Many of my friends from the rose forums have already fled, but we have set up other sites to carry on the conversation. I do wish the Am. Violet Society's website could be awakened from its comatose state.

Anyway, as I sit here, I am dreaming of the blossoms building on my violets ('Feline' is positively loaded with buds, and seems ready to absolutely pounce upon the arrival of spring; 'King of the Doubles' has been doing its best to crank open flowers all along and also seems headed for a fine spring show). I just ordered another, a 'Duchesse de Parme', now that I'm feeling fully confident in my ability to grow them at this tiny studio apartment of mine. I only wish I could afford more.

My next mission is to slowly entice the arboretum herb garden into planting more violets (at least the fragrant types) - I am already planning on donating my rooted 'Feline' cutting as they currently have no Parmas in their collection, only one unnamed and rather ordinary-looking clone of V. odorata. The best way to arouse public interest in a flower due more popularity is to make it as visible as possible in all its most splendid forms!

• jim_mck
    Original Author
    18 years ago

'Feline' and 'King of the Doubles' are both blooming here in Montgomery County, Maryland, USA too. These plants grow in a cold frame. Buds are showing on the other sweet and Parma violets, too. It's been a very mild winter here so far this year: snowdrops, winter aconites, various crocus, winter jasmine, witch hazels and hellebores all show at least a few blooms.

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz