Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soil for violas and seed scarification

Posted by saint_ivo z6 Nrthrn NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 27, 04 at 11:06

Ah, I just realized there was a violets form -- great!! I originally posted this in perennials.I have an area, maybe 100 sq feet, under a pin oak that I would like to cover with violas of different types. It goes from all dappled shade to a couple of hours of sunlight. Right now the soil is clay with a crummy weed/grass covering. I don't want to dig too deeply and disturb the pin oak's roots. Can I just dig about 6 inches and add lots of peat moss for moisture? Will that do for viola odorata or cornuta Purple Showers or Maggie Mott?
Also, starting odorata from seed, does it need to be in the frig or in the freezer. And, if freezing, for how long?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soil for violas and seed scarification

A pH value of 5.0-5.5 is suitable for most violas. Your light conditions sounds a bit dark as although violas are better than most, it is not exactly a 'shade' shade plant.. at least not in our zone6.

Most violas need a cool period to induce flowering, but I have had no problems germinating the seeds (stratification not required). I know a lot of references state so, but I have not found it necerssary (percentage 65-70%). Also, darkness is often said to be required which I have also not found to be necerssary. In fact I usually get better results germinated as surface sown with full light 24/7.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here